Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tangential or drag knife

Discussion in 'Summa' started by Raf D., Aug 15, 2020.

1. Raf D.

Raf D. New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Belgium
    Hi there,

we are looking to buy a Summa 140. We had quotes for the two types of machines. The price of a tangential is quite more expensive than the drag option.
    Since I am fairly new to all this, I have to convince my boss why a tangential is so much better than a drag.
    So if you guys (and women) could help me out here, I would be really greatfull.

What are the pro's and cons of both machines?

Thans so much

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    The tangential can also do drag, but the tangential cutting action allows for more precision, pressure, and speed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Plenty stuff about this online but yeah, the tangential head lifts up before turning any direction. Drag knife does not.

Benefits to that mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    It depends on what you're doing.

Tangential is way better for sharper corners, smaller text, thicker materials.

If all you're doing is cutting print and cuts and larger graphics... It's not worth the upgrade.

• Like Like x 1