• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tape measure or hand?

sagesign

Just had a guy email me a picture of some letters on a boat he wanted to replace. I asked if he could get me dimensions. His reply was that was why he put his hand by the letters so I could see what size they were (which I thought it was weird the way he had his hand in the picture, but I never thought it was for measurement purposes!). He thought he could maybe find a tape measure and get dimensions. And people like this have some how done well enough in life to have nice toys. I'm seriously amazed by people almost daily anymore.

Pippin Decals

lol.. thats funny ....send him a picture of yours and ask him what size your hand is lol.... Thats the most ridiculous thing i ever heard.... I always tell my clients, new and old to use a tape measure no matter what.. i cant guess by not seeing a true reference image or measurement ..

SignosaurusRex

Just had a guy email me a picture of some letters on a boat he wanted to replace. I asked if he could get me dimensions. His reply was that was why he put his hand by the letters so I could see what size they were (which I thought it was weird the way he had his hand in the picture, but I never thought it was for measurement purposes!). He thought he could maybe find a tape measure and get dimensions. And people like this have some how done well enough in life to have nice toys. I'm seriously amazed by people almost daily anymore.

Your customer may not have cared for total accuracy. He also might know that the average male hand measures 3½" x 7½". Using ones hand is not totally out of question when "Getting Close" is good enough.
If one is caught without a tape measure, a dollar bill (any U.S. denomination) will work well, as they measure 3-5/8" x 6-1/8".
When folded, one can get a pretty accurate measurement of 5/8", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2" 2", 2-1/2", etc.

rcook99

I actually use my hand from tip of pinky to tip of thumb to measure left chest locations for print location as well as measuring some things when I don't have a tape measure. Only because I know its 10" from tip to tip. "Signosaurus Rex" I forgot about the dollar bill, thanks for the reminder.