• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tape Mount Acrylic Lettering Part 2

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks for all the help with tape mounting the acrylic lettering. As mentioned earlier, it's a bit out of our comfort zone of stud mound bronze lettering and plaques for monuments.

They're going to be painting the wall (drywall) before we install. What is the typical wait time before I can install? Is it different between oil base and latex?

I plan to do a tape adhesion in an inconspicuous area to make sure we don't have issues.

Thanks,

JB

Billct2

We haven't experienced the kind of adhesion issues with mounting tape like you get with vinyl, but I would request that they don't use one of those "scrubbable" paints.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
He said drywall, so I would assume it's interior.

Chances are, it will be a "scrubbable" paint.... Sherwin Williams Promar 200 is pretty much the go-to for any commercial building/remodel.

I would wait for three days before taping anything to it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just curious, why not stud-mount them? It would eliminate any adhesion concerns....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oops, so he did. We'd normally wait 10 days for latex. You'll almost never find oil-based pints on inside walls anymore.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just curious, why not stud-mount them? It would eliminate any adhesion concerns....

I strongly leaned toward the idea of drilling for studs, but the area is a header approx. 6 inches deep and hangs down from the ceiling approx. 17 inches. It is in a building that is 150 years old and I don't suspect it is there for structural reasons. The header very likely contains coaxial cable, fire alarm /electrical wiring and perhaps a sprinkler line runs through there as well. Due to code, they most likely used metal studs and I'm certain of hitting one of those for sure, somewhere along the way.

Thanks for the above responses. I appreciate it!

JB

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If you'd rather use studs than tape, just barely drill through the drywall. No need to drill 2"-3" past it. Once through, just push the drill through (with it off) to see if it hits anything. If it does (or if you hit a metal stud when drilling), circle those stud placements on the pattern, thread the studs into the letter backs, then cut the studs you circled on the pattern to about 1/2" long.

For extra peace of mind, use Lexel instead of, or along with silicone. The silicone cures much quicker but the Lexel will secure better long-term.