• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taping Window perf?

SIGNTIME

Currently have a job that includes 27.5' x 44" of window perf on each side of a city bus. I am planning on printing on one peice and masking and having 2 of us installing it. Any problems taping unlaminated perf if I give the print 24hrs to dry? (Roland eco sol max ink, Orajet 3676)

T_K

Is this a short term application? Or at a large discount?
I was taught never to apply unlaminated window perf, since dirt builds up into the pores.

The only time we applied perf without laminate was for a pace car for a marathon. It was only for the weekend, so it didn't matter.

Addressing your question, I'd say it depends on how dry the ink gets in 24 hours. If you're in a hot, dry area then it'd probably be ok. But I'd still worry about the ink lifting off onto the tape.

SIGNTIME

This is short term. The customer has been informed about the lack of laminate. The reason I want to tape is so we don't stretch the vinyl and so the top doesn't curl over when we have 15' of it in mid air with no backer. Also I do not want to tile so we can keep install time down. I am thinking of taping with Digi mask as it seems to be more rigid and isn't to tacky. My main concern is pulling up any ink. I was wondering if anyone has experience taping unlaminated perf?

Signed Out

Is this a short term application? Or at a large discount?
I was taught never to apply unlaminated window perf, since dirt builds up into the pores.

The only time we applied perf without laminate was for a pace car for a marathon. It was only for the weekend, so it didn't matter.

Addressing your question, I'd say it depends on how dry the ink gets in 24 hours. If you're in a hot, dry area then it'd probably be ok. But I'd still worry about the ink lifting off onto the tape.

What type of laminate do you use on window perf? We have never had a problem with not laminating it. Windows look good 3 years later. Anyway I think the OP is looking for insight from someone who has experience with installing large sections of window perf, with or without app tape.

scott pagan

1 28ft roll of printed window perf is a big task for running thru the premask and for applicators, no? could you chunk it into (x) amount of smaller pieces? the premask on unlaminated perf works fine. i would think you may have tunneling issues between time of premask, transport/shipping, and install. good luck!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Never seen a city bus with continuous glass for 28'.... why are you doing this in one piece? Especially with premask?

Signed Out

Never seen a city bus with continuous glass for 28'.... why are you doing this in one piece? Especially with premask?

The idea is to save time tiling and lining up panels during install. There are graphics that flow from below the windows through the windows and above the windows. Above and below will be regular vinyl. The windows aren't continuous, but very little gap and the gap is fairly flat painted metal, very little rubber gasket. Window perf will be used in these gaps between the windows too. So Instead of tiling and lining up 20 windows per side, we are planning on printing the 28' section of perf in one piece. We would tape it, hang and align it, cut the print in half in a window gap so we now have (2) 14' pieces to lay, vertical hinges, (4) 7' sections to lay. We want to tape the perf to make it easier to handle and prevent any stretching. If the seam doesn't line up perfect then we can put fill that gap with a 1" or so wide strip.

How would others handle the install? We want to save as much time as possible.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print it all as one piece, dont mask it; it'll never line up perfectly, and this is just a short-term bus wrap.
Install the wrap, then hack the perf into manageable sections (like 2 windows at a time) then slap it on.