• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Teacher Called About My Son

Air Art Girl

So I get this phone call from a teacher at my son's school. First response was............... oh crap

It was from his Digital Imaging teacher. Basicially they do AI and PS.

He said that my son was a joy to work with and that he is always the first to finish his assignments. Not only that but it is some of the best work he has seen. He just wanted me to know.

Can't tell you how proud I was hearing that call. I know we posted some of his work here awhile back and many of you commented on his style and eye for design. He doesn't want to be a graphic artist or work on computers all day but right now the kid has it and I'm trying to convince him to design some shirts and other things to sell while he is in school to put some money in his pocket.

Anyone else have a child they encouraged to try to make some money while they can with the resources we have in this business? I can't seem to convince him, just looking for some suggestions to convince him.

imagep

So I get this phone call from a teacher at my son's school. First response was............... oh crap

He said that my son was a joy to work with and that he is always the first to finish his assignments. Not only that but it is some of the best work he has seen. He just wanted me to know.

Can't tell you how proud I was hearing that call. I know we posted some of his work here awhile back and many of you commented on his style and eye for design. He doesn't want to be a graphic artist or work on computers all day but right now the kid has it and I'm trying to convince him to design some shirts and other things to sell while he is in school to put some money in his pocket.

Anyone else have a child they encouraged to try to make some money while they can with the resources we have in this business? I can't seem to convince him, just looking for some suggestions to convince him.

My now 17 year old son basically spent all of his time in our shop from a week after he was born until just a few years ago. He'd rather work at McDonalds for minimum wage than to make $12/hr working in my shop. Honestly, I dont blaim him.

A few years ago he discovered another creative outlet that one day he can make a living at - music. He frequently practices for hours a day, has auditioned for everything he can audition for, recently got a scholarship for a years worth of music lessons at a local college and will be "on tour" with a youth performance group all summer - a month of "spring training" and then 55 days performing in 31 different cities.

So although he took a different rout than I expected him to, I am just glad that he has found something that he loves to do - and can even make a living doing it.

Tovis

that is wonderful, i wish my high school taught it, heck i wish college taught more about it too.

Air Art Girl

My now 17 year old son basically spent all of his time in our shop from a week after he was born until just a few years ago. He'd rather work at McDonalds for minimum wage than to make $12/hr working in my shop. Honestly, I dont blaim him.

A few years ago he discovered another creative outlet that one day he can make a living at - music. He frequently practices for hours a day, has auditioned for everything he can audition for, recently got a scholarship for a years worth of music lessons at a local college and will be "on tour" with a youth performance group all summer - a month of "spring training" and then 55 days performing in 31 different cities.

So although he took a different rout than I expected him to, I am just glad that he has found something that he loves to do - and can even make a living doing it.

Sounds like your son followed his passion. My son's passion is baseball. He broke his tibia and fibula in December so was not able to play this year. He was asked to help coach the "C" team at the high school since he couldn't play, had to give up his spot on his select team but was asked to be on the coaching staff of a group a few years younger then him so he is enjoying that. He says he wants to be a police officer so..........for right now he has the talents and could be making some money with some of his designing and I just need to figure out how to convince him of it while he's designing anyway. I hope he does continue with this though.

sardocs

My daughter just sent me a few pics of a mural on the ceiling of a house she just did. She has been working a a paint store since she graduated high school.She is 22 and this is the first commissioned piece of art she's ever done. She has never been on a scaffold before. I couldn't be prouder...

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 74
  • m8.jpg
    m8.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 65

p3

I think its pretty wise that he doesn't want to do it for extra cash. Cause it starts out as extra cash, than before you know it, its your full fledged job. I was into the same thing when I was in high school...i took some web publishing classes, but it was all basic and I was into doing more advanced stuff with flash and everything. Well I did a couple things for extra cash then it turned into a lot of things. I now just do design for work a company and try to run my own sign shop, although I wish I wouldn't have gotten so antsy and dove into other things. Same with a lot of my friends that were into computer related fields although networking and things pay a little more. But just seems like a lot of my buddies that tried doin the same thing, it all turned into their job...

i bought a younger cousin a plotter about 12 yrs ago while he was in college (he had worked with me occasionally in high school) he made great side beer money doing banners, fraternity sorority stuff, etc. so even if this is not the career path your son wants to take in life he may want to consider it versus a part time job unless he is passionate about something else and wants to get his feet wet exploring career options

nodrenim

One of the major keys to happiness in life, is being able to do something you really like doing and getting paid for it. Having two or more totally different talents can be a curse or a godsend. If something happens and you have to change courses in life for whatever reason, it's always nice to have something else you enjoy to help you to survive. I have been in signs for 50 years and also into vintage VW's. Right now the sign thing is very slow, but I have some VW's to rebuild and sell. All is well with my world.

Rodi

We've seen some of his work and we hate him already! HA! Congrats!

JasperST

They're teaching Illustrator and Photoshop in high school now? Geez, no wonder there are so many start up sign shops. And I had to walk to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, with no shoes....