• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tearing Top Layer of Vinyl

Xamm_

Hi guys,

We're trying to use our MultiCam (Australia) to do a bit more for us in our shop. We're having a bit of trouble after laminating prints with UV clear on to 3mm aluminium (0.118 inch) with the top vinyl edge not cutting cleanly, but rather tearing it a bit.

We've done a bit of experimenting and are mostly happy as the edge only takes a quick sand and it's good, however looking for a few tips pointers to get a clean edge in one go.

Thanks for any assitance

Xamm_

I have had better luck with a V bit... and then a end mill if the lower edge is too sharp for you.

Thanks for the helpful response - will give it a go. In the mean time we tried a new bit... broke it then tried another new bit and it cut perfectly! Weird world.

On a second note, anyone cut 5005 grade aluminium without oil lubrication?

Thanks

Ditchmiester

Thanks for the helpful response - will give it a go. In the mean time we tried a new bit... broke it then tried another new bit and it cut perfectly! Weird world. On a second note, anyone cut 5005 grade aluminium without oil lubrication? Thanks

I've cut 5052 aluminum with no lube. Just take a more conservative approach towards the tool paths. If not you will generate way to much heat and burn up your tools.