• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tech Fees

Jim Hill

I need to have a ribbon cable replaced on my SP-300 and the local Roland service tech just contacted me to set up an appointment and to go over their fees.

Total charge based on two hours $490.00 dollars

Parts $46.85 and the balance is the trip fee and labor rates based on a hourly rate of $145.00 dollars @ hour.

I am located about ten minutes from their office.

My question is does this seem to be in the normal range to everyone else?

Jim

MikePro

ouch. did they do the diagnosis?
unfamiliar with the machine, but that seems a bit steep. Ribbon cables on my mimaki take approx. 30min. to swap, regardless of one or all eight.

hourly rate is what you would expect and the ribbon cable pricing is standard, but a $150 trip fee for a 10min. drive?

however, you do get experience for the $$$. At that price, I'd be asking for more than just a ribbon cable swap for the 2hrs onsite time. Training for alignments, cleanings, etc.... could be worth it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
However the end fees end up, sit there and watch how the tech replaces the cable. Take notes if you can, and pick his brain if he'll answer questions. Then, next time one breaks you're only out the $46.85.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they're figuring on about 2-1/2 hours to replace the ribbon. Probably while they're in there, they're gonna do some other things for you.

wmshuman

So they are actually charging you $153.15 for a trip fee? Seems a little steep to me considering you are ten minutes away.

I had the cable replaced on my SP300V a few months ago and I think the bill was right around $400 or so. But, the tech drove more than an hour to get here. And I thought my bill was pricey for the half hour of "actual work" it actually took.

ProWraps

denco here in nor cal... the rep is 10 minutes away.

their corporate office is 2 hours away.

he works out of his home, 10 minutes away, and they charge a trip fee from the corporate office. so $500 trip fee.

welcome to equipment tech support. you get SCREWED everytime.

ProWraps

Yep. What do you expect though? If you can afford a $30k plus machine, you certainly should be able to afford the $500 maintenance fees. Sucks though.

thats idiot logic. has nothing to do with the cost of the machine. has to do with the cost of the service being provided.

should the plumber charge you $500 to come to your house to unclog a toilet because you own a $400k house?

wmshuman

That's not the same logic at all... genius.

There is a reason techs charge that much to "fix" your $30k machine. It's because they can and know you won't be doing it yourself and you can't get anyone else to do it for you any cheaper. It's a monopoly and there is nothing you can do about it.

Funny how one time my laser printer ($1200 roughly) broke down and needed a service call. Parts were replaced and the tech was here for a couple hours and my bill was $190.

That tech was here a hell of a lot longer than my Roland tech was, yet my bill was half the price of my Roland. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

ProWraps

again idiot logic and that has nothing to do with this argument.

we are talking about printer techs and the fact that we should just be ok with getting gouged on a $500 travel fee because we can afford the printer.

ProWraps

There is a reason techs charge that much to "fix" your $30k machine. It's because they can and know you won't be doing it yourself and you can't get anyone else to do it for you any cheaper. It's a monopoly and there is nothing you can do about it.

Funny how one time my laser printer ($1200 roughly) broke down and needed a service call. Parts were replaced and the tech was here for a couple hours and my bill was $190.

That tech was here a hell of a lot longer than my Roland tech was, yet my bill was half the price of my Roland. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

yes, yes i am a genius. thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

we are talking about printer techs and the fact that we should just be ok with getting gouged on a $500 travel fee because we can afford the printer.

I'm not sure, but I think you guys are saying the same thing, but from opposite ends.....??

wmshuman

But I am not saying that we should be okay with getting gouged. You are misunderstanding what I was saying. I'm saying that having an expensive printer is going to cost more to maintain. That's all. I know certain Vuteks can costs upwards of five grand for a service call. Why do you think that is? Maybe cause they cost upwards of 300 grand to own?

Are you having a bad day or something? No reason to be rude about it.

:peace!:

fmg

With all respect can you not do some research and attempt this yourself.I am sure some of the more notable vendors will supply you the part and give you a quick heads up on how to replace.

ova

I was paying $100/hr in this area to get service on my sp300. Charged travel time from their shop to mine and back to theirs. Total two hrs. of listening to the radio sipping his favorite drink.

As stated above, I just watched the tech change the cable the first time and have been doing myself ever since.

But I think we all have to look at it from another view. If we can't do it ourselves, then we have to just bite the bullet and pay the tech.

On another note to the OP. If you are watching the tech doing the work, make sure he does all the steps.

1. Replaces the clear support ribbons also. There are two. One on each side of the cable.

2. Uses new sleeves and pins that hold the cable to the cabinet.

3. Cleans all overspray from the cable track. This is a cause of the cable getting sticky and not following the head properly. Thus causing the cable to kink.

Dave

Jim Hill

Thanks to everyone for their input on the fees.

The original trip fee was $300.00 dollars until I told him that was to much money for a ten minute drive from their place of business and then he told me he would ONLY CHARGE $150.00 plus the two hour minimum fee of $145.00 @ hour.

When I informed him the tech had already told me the entire job takes about one hour to complete he said they would also check over the entire machine while the tech was here.

I change almost all of my owns parts on this SP-300 including capping stations, dampers, cap tops, and when it stops running I draw the ink through the lines with a syringe and in three years of owning this printer this will be the first time I have called a tech for anything.

I tried to find a tutorial on changing the ribbon myself but could not find one.

I will watch the tech change the ribbon and in the future be doing it myself.

I also have been purchasing supplies from this same company but after this experience I think I am going to start shopping around a little more in the future for another supplier.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Jim

signage

Jim have you video camera in position when he get in and record what he is doing, you are paying him!