• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Technique question about applying vinyl to Static Cling

New Guy

I just got in some static cling material and thought I'd give it a try. I reverse cut a graphic in colored vinyl and went to apply it. I taped the static cling material flat to the table (since it was bowed from being on the roll), and I used medium tack transfer paper on the graphic. I used the hinge method and applied it just fine.

However, when I went to remove the transfer paper, it kept pulling the static cling off the backing paper, which I imagine is what it's supposed to be doing in most applications.

It came out fine, but I wrestled with it and thought "There's got to be an easier way than this", and here I am asking....

Is there a better way or different materials I needed to use? I used a scrap piece of Oracal 651 to apply it to the Avery clear static cling material with medium tack transfer paper, dry.

Thanks in advance-

grafxxx

yeah i did a job like that 2 months ago you just got to take your time when pulling off the transfer i had to do 3 color overlay all mirror cut. pita. agin you just have to take your time...

New Guy

Wet the ap tape with alcohol/water solution generally help to loosen the ap tape.

Can I use Rapid Tac to wet to release it? I feel stupid now, as I recall doing a job using Rapid Tac and I recall how easily the stuff came off when the paper was saturated.

Thanks for bopping me upside the head and getting the hamster back on the wheel.

Flame

Static cling and cut vinyl........... talk about taboo.

Never heard of anyone doing that before. They are usually printed??????

Wild Hare

I had a customer bring in a large static cling decal that another shop did. The cheap vinyl that was applied to the static cling shrunk and the whole thing had puckers.

Bill Modzel

Viny on static shrinks at different rates. Don't do it and expect it
to stay flat. That goes for cheap and high performance vinyl.

New Guy

Thanks, the application I bought it for was for contractors working in office buildings. The often have to restrict the paths their workers use, like the elevator. They always want their workers to use the service elevator, so a static cling sign, maybe 6" x 8" that says "Contractors Use Freight Elevator" that sticks to the highly polished door is all I was hoping to get. Use it until the job is done and then throw it away.

I thought it sounded like a good application :) Apparently I was wrong!

Jackpine

Have it printed on Oracle 3621 removable adhesive material. I use this all the time and it removes very nice.

New Guy

That's what I was trying to avoid. I don't have a printer and don't want one, and I can't get people around town with printers to react quickly. When I get an order for something like this, I need it in a few hours, not a few days, so I'm trying to work my way around those issues.