Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technique question about applying vinyl to Static Cling

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by New Guy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. New Guy

New Guy Member

Jun 12, 2007
    I just got in some static cling material and thought I'd give it a try. I reverse cut a graphic in colored vinyl and went to apply it. I taped the static cling material flat to the table (since it was bowed from being on the roll), and I used medium tack transfer paper on the graphic. I used the hinge method and applied it just fine.

However, when I went to remove the transfer paper, it kept pulling the static cling off the backing paper, which I imagine is what it's supposed to be doing in most applications.

It came out fine, but I wrestled with it and thought "There's got to be an easier way than this", and here I am asking....

Is there a better way or different materials I needed to use? I used a scrap piece of Oracal 651 to apply it to the Avery clear static cling material with medium tack transfer paper, dry.

Thanks in advance-

Tags:
  2. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I've never heard of anyone applying vinyl to cling material before :help:

3. grafxxx

grafxxx Very Active Member

May 15, 2007
    watertown ma.
    yeah i did a job like that 2 months ago you just got to take your time when pulling off the transfer i had to do 3 color overlay all mirror cut. pita. agin you just have to take your time...

4. gnemmas

gnemmas Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    CA
    Wet the ap tape with alcohol/water solution generally help to loosen the ap tape.

5. New Guy

New Guy Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Can I use Rapid Tac to wet to release it? I feel stupid now, as I recall doing a job using Rapid Tac and I recall how easily the stuff came off when the paper was saturated.

Thanks for bopping me upside the head and getting the hamster back on the wheel.

6. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Static cling and cut vinyl........... talk about taboo.

Never heard of anyone doing that before. They are usually printed??????

7. Wild Hare

Wild Hare Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Quincy, Ca
    I had a customer bring in a large static cling decal that another shop did. The cheap vinyl that was applied to the static cling shrunk and the whole thing had puckers.

8. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

Viny on static shrinks at different rates. Don't do it and expect it
    to stay flat. That goes for cheap and high performance vinyl.

9. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    The "puckers" could be a reaction between the glue and the static vinyl.

P

10. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    We use to use vinyl on static cling, good luck on making it stick for any periods of time.

11. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    It's like peanut butter and crab meat . . . Both taste great . . . But not together !

12. New Guy

New Guy Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Thanks, the application I bought it for was for contractors working in office buildings. The often have to restrict the paths their workers use, like the elevator. They always want their workers to use the service elevator, so a static cling sign, maybe 6" x 8" that says "Contractors Use Freight Elevator" that sticks to the highly polished door is all I was hoping to get. Use it until the job is done and then throw it away.

I thought it sounded like a good application :) Apparently I was wrong!

13. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Have it printed on Oracle 3621 removable adhesive material. I use this all the time and it removes very nice.

14. New Guy

New Guy Member

Jun 12, 2007
    That's what I was trying to avoid. I don't have a printer and don't want one, and I can't get people around town with printers to react quickly. When I get an order for something like this, I need it in a few hours, not a few days, so I'm trying to work my way around those issues.