Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temp for printing on Oracal 651

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Shadowglen, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    I am printing on Orange and Yellow Oracal 651 vinyl. just black print. using a Roland sp540 I. print heat is set to 42*c 107.6 f and the Dryer heat is set to 45* c (113) f. The vinyl is getting wavy after the pinch rollers and the head was scraping in a spot towards the edge. I have installed the larger media hold downs but was wondering if my heat should be at. With the machine off the vinyl is not wavy. any advice would be great. Thanks Dave

Tags:
  2. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    Thanks pat! I will fiddle with it. I suppose humidity and other things may make a difference.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    651 is for cutting not printing.

I guess your printing on it so you have a vibrant Yellow or Orange so you need to fiddle w/ the heat settings.

4. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I do this quite frequently on my SP-300V without any problems although I do use the 751.
    Default heat settings are 37 & 40 and that's where they stay. Turn down your heat a bit and you should be good.

5. danky01

danky01 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I didn't know you could print on regular cut vinyl, I though it had to be inkjet vinyl. Is print on the 651 as durable as on the 3651?

6. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    If you lam it yes. You'd be surprised what they can print on. Like most here know, if you're stuck and need to print on clear, print on lam,,,,, not the same as clear vinyl but works.

7. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    Thanks Guys. and Yes I Lam all the vinyl I print.

8. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    turned down to 37 and 40 much better results Thanks all!

9. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    Try giving the supply roll some slack. I find I get the wavyness and head strikes when it's trying to pull off the roll

10. psbc2009

psbc2009 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ohio
    This. I used to immediately go to the heat settings But I have found that tension is just as important. Supply roll tension and or take up roll. Not sure why but lately I've had to turn the temperature down on all medias And usually put a Slack loop on the supply side. It's fine to print on 651 there is just a better chance for contaminants on the media.

11. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Some of you might be amazed at how many reflective vinyls can be printed to, and look good.

12. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Occasionally I will print to 651, when I do I just turn the heaters off.

13. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    I print on silver metallic (cast) on regular base. The ink of my Roland are kinda translucent so I can use silver met. to create a bunch of new metallic colors (Candy Apple-like). 'Prints fine but you just need to make sure there's no contaminant. On new rolls, it's pretty safe as no human handling is done at most factories as far as packaging.

14. danky01

danky01 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Would it be possible to print an opaque image on a clear acetate? I use my Versacamm to print artwork for burning my screens for screen printing. I have been printing on clear window cling which isn't the best material to work with.

15. danky01

danky01 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Well I answered my own question last night, and it is a big fat NO!! I did try printing on laminate, as has been suggested and that worked great, and its much easier to work with. Now this has me thinking, what else could I print on.