• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Templates and vectors

JBowen747

Is there any programs that can assist with taking a picture of a project and having a measuring tape to get a general idea of surface area to design a wrap? Also where is a good place to get design vectors and such and fills besides like aroura

myront

CorelDRAW is best
scaling a photo to near actual size can be done many ways. I use a corel macro. Basically if you take a measurement of an element of the photo i.e. window size, tag size, emblem etc. Just scale the image up until that area in the image is the same size.

AKwrapguy

Is there any programs that can assist with taking a picture of a project and having a measuring tape to get a general idea of surface area to design a wrap? Also where is a good place to get design vectors and such and fills besides like aroura

Shutterstock.com
Elements.envato.com
Pretty much google XXXXXX vector and you will get tones of vector sites you can download stuff from, some free some not it all depends on what your looking for.

Aflac

Mymeasures is a pretty nice app that I use daily.
I checked out Spike at the Long Beach sign show, pretty cool deal, any feedback.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We purchased a Spike to try out and found that it was always off by a few inches one way or the other, so we didn't trust it and I think we sent it back... not sure, that is the sales dept.
ProVehicleOutlines is the way to go for vehicles, but always be wary that it is a 2d representation of a 3d vehicle.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I made a "Sticky Foot" years ago. It's a light blue magnet that is exactly one foot long and says Sticky Foot on it. Slap it on any vehicle and take a photo. Easy to scale up, but I still take final measurements once the vehicle is here before cutting or printing.

Superior_Adam

Take either a magnet or a piece of vinyl and apply it to the side of the vehicle. Take a good picture straight on. When you scale it into your graphics program make sure the piece you applied is the right size and you will be good to go. I typically use a 6"x12" piece and make sure the color stands out against the color of the vehicle. I have used this on cars/trucks/zamboni's and has worked for me.

neato

scaling a photo to near actual size can be done many ways. I use a corel macro. Basically if you take a measurement of an element of the photo i.e. window size, tag size, emblem etc. Just scale the image up until that area in the image is the same size.

What macro are you using? I'd like to take a look at it.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What macro are you using? I'd like to take a look at it.

Wrote it myself. It's actually two macros. 1 to "get the scale of selected rectangle" and 1 to set the scale equal the first. So you import your image, draw a rectangle as close as possible to an area you've measured. We use a 12" magnet slapped on the side of a vehicle or just take a measurement of a door handle or something. So once you draw a rectangle over that area you hit macro 1. Now select the image and hit macro 2.
Ok, I looked this up again and found that I had written it a while back and it uses SendKeys functions which isn't the best method.

Sub ScaleVehiclePart1()
SendKeys "(sf)" 'my shortcut to the Scale Factor
SendKeys "^(c)" 'copy Scale Factor
SendKeys "{ESC}"
End Sub
Sub ScaleVehiclePart2()
SendKeys "(sf)"
SendKeys "^(v)" 'paste Scale Factor
SendKeys "{ENTER}"
End Sub

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Tape a 16x24 framing square to the subject square and plumb, and snap a picture straight on minimizing parallax. Import the picture into your software. Draw a rectangle around the framing square. Map the picture into the rectangle via power clip, mask, or whatever your software calls it. Size the rectangle to 16x24. Unmap the picture. Now you have a full size image.

I layout whatever it is I'm making on this image and it's never, ever, not fit exactly as I wanted. I've been doing this for years, it takes less than a minute, and it's always been accurate to 1/8" or so.