Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temporary race numbers

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by jdoug5170, May 24, 2012.

1. jdoug5170

jdoug5170 Member

Jan 16, 2010
    We do club racing car numbers. A number of the racers belong to multiple clubs and have number variations. Example would be that in one club they might run 392, in another 39 and then in another 92. Our thought is we would like to offer a reusable plate that would go over the to be hidden number.

What material would you recommend? We are currently thinking PhotoTex. We have a SP300 so print and cut material is best so that we don't have to carry a rainbow of colors.

Second question. Most of the racers install their own numbers. We currently print, laminate and cut and deliver. Would it be best to mask for ease of application. Seems like once laminated the numbers are pretty substantial and we certainly have no problems when we are doing the application.

Thank you
    Doug

Tags:
  2. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    I use PhotoTex for those, but they will blow off at 130mph sometimes. I've been laminating them because if they get wet the ink will run, I use a SP 300V also.

If you leave the background white, the PhotoTex is translucent enough that the car color will show through a bit.

3. WestcoastSigns

WestcoastSigns Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Wondering how it looks after laminating. Isn't there a texture to phototex that interferes with smoothness?

4. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    Looks the same but glossy. I don't think lamination is recommended by the manufacturer but it works good enough for the numbers.

5. Sign-Man Signs

Sign-Man Signs Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oracal 651, removable vinyl.

6. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Removable adhesive vinyl works for me.

7. Stuckup

Stuckup Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Maybe try a 1/2 inch Sealer Clear vinyl tape on leading edges to stop The Decal blowing off at 130MPH. If the client wants to have a re-usable Number, give it to them, save them money they will not go elsewhere.