• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Temporary window graphics - "COMING SOON" window wrap during new construction

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
3M 40C used to be IJ40C. Short term no need to laminate or mask unless you want the protection and added thickness for installation. Gloss or matte will cost you $358 a roll (54" x 150') and it's easy to install and easy to remove in the warmer months. You have 3 sides install on the shady sides to reduce stretching.

rossmosh

My advice is show the price difference between vinyl, banner, and paper and let them make their choice. My guess is you'll be printing some paper signs and taping them up.

bigben

We do this in Kansas City for a big construction company all the time and use a 12mil poster paper printed and installed second surface. We just install it with some killer red banner tape its fast cheap and hasn't gave us any issues yet and actually looks quite nice when installed right.

I've done this very often. 8mil or 12mil poster paper with optically clear double sided tape on the top and bottom. Cheap, fast and do not need any cleaning when removed.

signbrad

This string reminds me of how much times have changed. Or how old I have become.

Lettering paper banners was always a nice change. It was fast and loose, with minimum brain work required. Big, loaded brushes. Long, rapid strokes.
It took some time to get used to the paint at first—One Shot Poster Colors thinned to the consistency of heavy cream, and a constant fear of big drips. But after a while, the fear went away and doing paper banners was like taking a much needed break from the constant focusing and breath control of tight lettering. Those of you who remember this kind of work know what I'm talking about. Or am I the only one who held his breath a lot when lettering?

My 40-foot easel had two rolls of pattern paper mounted vertically at the end, which I used for banners as well as patterns. I could pull out a length of paper and, after a very light scratch pattern with a charcoal stick, start lettering. I could often begin wiping the charcoal marks with a dry chamois and rolling up the banner as soon as I had lettered to the end. A fan set on low speeded the process even more.
If I had several banners to do that were shorter than my easel, I could pull fresh paper over the first banner and begin lettering with no layout at all—you could see the first letters through the paper. It went so fast that it was easy to produce too many if you counted wrong. And you would never want to misspell the first one (you'll never guess how I know this).

Producing a couple hundred feet of paper banner in a morning was nothing, and it was fun. You could develop incredible speed doing this type of work, which carried over into increased speed in other types of lettering. Very liberating for a mahl-stick-guy like me.

I used to work on my own cars, too. Of course, this was all in a previous century.
I guess that's why I feel a hundred years old (my smart*ss girlfriend just said I don't look a day over 90). :rolleyes:

Brad

nolanola

I've done this very often. 8mil or 12mil poster paper with optically clear double sided tape on the top and bottom. Cheap, fast and do not need any cleaning when removed.
Can I ask you how much do you charge for that service?
We have a similar job: 12 windows 4'x9', 432 sq ft total. The material + print would cost $15.00 per window or $180.00 total.
Is charging less than $120.00 per window is a good idea?

Thank you.

StevenGC

Hey Everyone,

I have a customer that is about to build out a 4,000 square foot retail space in Seattle and need the windows covered with printed graphics to block the public's view during construction. It's all windows on three sides of the space, so I'm looking at 840 square feet of glass to cover. It will be the bottom 6.5' from ground level on all the windows. I can apply the graphics either from the inside or outside, but the owners don't want to use window cling from the outside because people might peel it off.

Have any of you done "Coming Soon" construction graphics like this before? What's the best material? I found a relatively cheap low-tack vinyl that I can install on the outside. It's important to leave none or very little adhesive when their construction crew takes down the vinyl in a few months. It doesn't need to be laminated, either, since it only needs to last a few months. I can install wet or dry.

Window cling would be a good option if I can find a wholesaler that prints reverse on clear cling material so I can install it from the inside of the windows.

I usually subscribe to Signs101 premium although my membership just lapsed. If any of you have done this before and know generally pricing, a PM would be great to inform me about the price I should be charging.

The final product should look something like the picture I've attached. I use a Roland XC-540, btw. Thanks.

attachment.php

Print on some sort of popup material and use Mactac ColorTrans 2200 (perm adhesive on the print side) and mount on inside of windows.

Mactac ColorTrans 2200 Perm/Rem Mounting Adhesive | FELLERS