• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Temporary Window Signage

rjssigns

I have a long term client that wants more static cling pieces for their windows. They like to reuse things.

Problem is they want them 24" x 24". While I can make them that size I don't think it's a good idea. We normally do them no bigger than 12" x 12" or so.

Looking for options to put inside the glass. Right now I'm trying to steer them into small banners with a pole pocket for a small dowel and hang from suction cups. Either that or one-way vision film on the exterior.

Depending on what you kind folks come up with I may have to sub out. Not going to buy a mile of material for one use.

You can laugh and poke fun at me, but my brain is mush and I need some help.(comp 2 final is killing me)

oksigns

if they need to reuse their marketing items, they need to use suction cups for rolled up media that they can store away. This is what I use for my stores: http://www.ffr.com/suction-cup-with-thumbscrew

Sometimes you get married to a single idea cause that's all the client knows. You can now print really durable PVC film with holes cut out ala print-n-cut or just punch them out post printing. Laminate if they will see a lot of sun.

Even the suction cups with hooks are fine provided the cups are large enough to hold the sign up.

sfr table hockey

I've used clear cling that was approx 12" by 60" wide that I did a double strike print of black lettering reverse printed so that the ink was not against the window. They had a white roller blind that they pulled down a foot so that the black showed on the window. The install was done wet so that it was easy to get the cling to set tight to the window and when done you could hardly see the clear cling and only seen the black lettering.

It has been up for a couple years now and still looks like cut lettering on the window.

Just installed a 24" by 36" poster on a white cling and did the same with the wet install. I find the wet install is much better for getting out any look of bubbles under the cling. It also seems to stick better that way.

The only thing I have found is that if the print is touching the window as in what you get with white cling, and if you were to get direct sunlight, you may find the ink can bake onto the glass so when removed you may need to spend some time to clean that off.

rjssigns

I've used clear cling that was approx 12" by 60" wide that I did a double strike print of black lettering reverse printed so that the ink was not against the window. They had a white roller blind that they pulled down a foot so that the black showed on the window. The install was done wet so that it was easy to get the cling to set tight to the window and when done you could hardly see the clear cling and only seen the black lettering.

It has been up for a couple years now and still looks like cut lettering on the window.

Just installed a 24" by 36" poster on a white cling and did the same with the wet install. I find the wet install is much better for getting out any look of bubbles under the cling. It also seems to stick better that way.

The only thing I have found is that if the print is touching the window as in what you get with white cling, and if you were to get direct sunlight, you may find the ink can bake onto the glass so when removed you may need to spend some time to clean that off.

Client is 125 miles away and put up the small pieces I send them. They aren't going to do a wet install or pay me to do it.

I'm going to have to appeal to their finer sensibilities. I do like the suction cups with thumbscrews for rigid material.

sfr table hockey

The wet install is not hard. You just mist the window and set the cling in place and then squeegee out the bit of water. It's actually easier to do it wet then to smooth it out dry.

But there are some customers who just can't do simple things....

T_K

What's the problem with the 2ft x 2ft size? Is it just the installation that's the problem?

We did graphics for a comic con several years in a row. One was a massive, multi-panel section graphic for the main entrance. One year we tried static cling to see if install would be easier. It held up just fine for the event, but got destroyed in removal just because of the size. We went back to a low-tack vinyl because of price, but didn't have any issues with that large a scale.

attachment.php

I would think if static cling was ok for this large a job, it would work fine for a 4 sq.ft. piece.

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 2014IRVING1.jpg
    2014IRVING1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 219

2B

if you are proposing banner than visibility is not needed?

static cling will work fine as a 24x24 size, it is just like all vinyl the more surface area the more adhesive to hold it

photo-tex is a good option
the semi-rigid with suction cups is a another good idea

rjssigns

Cli
What's the problem with the 2ft x 2ft size? Is it just the installation that's the problem?

We did graphics for a comic con several years in a row. One was a massive, multi-panel section graphic for the main entrance. One year we tried static cling to see if install would be easier. It held up just fine for the event, but got destroyed in removal just because of the size. We went back to a low-tack vinyl because of price, but didn't have any issues with that large a scale.

attachment.php

I would think if static cling was ok for this large a job, it would work fine for a 4 sq.ft. piece.

Am I missing something?

Yup, you're missing something.:Big Laugh It's a client install and they've never done it before. I may send them a comp to play with. If they don't have installation issues I'll have my answer.

Billct2

I have client that can't install a 12"x18" static without it looking like crap, despite a clear explanation & demonstration.

2B

o
Have you tried Seal Neschen EasyDOT?

Its super easy for clients to install and is reusable (even more so with a rigid laminate).

What is the price point compared to the other options?
What supplier do you get it from?

CanuckSigns

Drytac makes a product called vizi print, it's similar to static cling but it's thicker and rigid, so it won't stretch at all during install.

I stopped using static cling years ago, it prints horribly, has a super short shelf life, we either use a low tac clear vinyl, or the vizi print.