• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help test print alignment

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Then you definitely have a blown fuse. It would be best to determine if there is further damage before replacing the fuse. The output transistors need to be checked first, because if one of those is shorted, you will only blow the fuse again. You will need a multimeter to check them.

To clarify, you have to crisscross the pair groups, just don't crisscross the cables in a pair itself. See the attached pdf for clarification.

Attachments

• 2 head ribbon data cable swap.pdf
    177.4 KB · Views: 45

signgirl71

Then you definitely have a blown fuse. It would be best to determine if there is further damage before replacing the fuse. The output transistors need to be checked first, because if one of those is shorted, you will only blow the fuse again. You will need a multimeter to check them.

To clarify, you have to crisscross the pair groups, just don't crisscross the cables in a pair itself. See the attached pdf for clarification.
the picture on the right is what I did - moved in pairs, does that mean I still need to check the output transistor?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Yes. Otherwise, you may just blow the fuse again. It's a simple test and will get you running quicker. What kind of fuses did you get, and hopefully more than 1?

signgirl71

Yes. Otherwise, you may just blow the fuse again. It's a simple test and will get you running quicker. What kind of fuses did you get, and hopefully more than 1?
I ordered two of these and two head cables - hopefully they are the correct ones. Out for delivery at the moment, haven't received them yet.

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 32

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Those are the correct fuses. I suspect your existing cables are probably ok, but check the traces at the ends of the cables for any damage.

signgirl71

I just texted my son at work to see if he has one here, if not I will have to take a ride to get one from my father. (a multimeter as I read above)

damonCA21

You can get multimeters from any DIY place like harbor freight etc.. for less than $10. You just need a basic one that tests continuity, DC voltage and resistance. They are always handy tools to have for working on printers so worth getting one

signgirl71

of course they were out of the cheapies - thats just my luck but i'm sure we will have alot of use for this anyways since this house we moved into has some weird electrical problems in certain areas. So, that being said, do I dare do this? I have never used a multimeter, don't know how to read one, and don't know where the output transistor is. Honestly I'm feeling pretty stupid, but I will never learn if I don't try it...

Attachments

• 20231228_132617.jpg
    20231228_132617.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
When you are ready to be adventurous, call me. I've been doing this for years and was a US Navy electronics technician back in the day.

signgirl71

Huge thank you to Jim! You got me up and running again and it was very nice meeting you in person. Can't thank you enough! Pet the dog for me!
Chris

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Lost it years ago, darn it! Red handle flat blade with a clip and heat shrink on the shaft. Back in the days of tubes. First troubleshooting step was to look for a tube with a dead filament. Confirmation was to touch the glass top to see if it was hot or cold. After that, dig out the schematics, Simpson 260 meter and O-scope. Replaced components rather than boards. Trouble shooting was simpler... Yep, todays old techs are yesteryears Twidgets!

Attachments

• Simpson 260.jpg
    Simpson 260.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: