• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Test Print Files

Nuteksigns

Hi everyone!

I will be "Test Driving" a few different printers next week and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about, or examples of good, challenging test print files that would really put any digital printer to the test!

I'm thinking about images that would bring banding issues out as well as gradient transition difficulties, colour separations and image sharpness etc.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
I will be happy to share my results.

Cheers,
David

bigben

I've used the caldera test file. I did not found it online and the file is to big to upload it here. If you want it, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

chafro

I have one that we designed for our flatbed testing.

It's hard solid color patches, transitions, neutrals, letters down to 2 pt (in black and in white surrounded by black), very tiny 100% cmyk vertical and horizontal lines to see register, etc.

I will gladly share it, send me your email and I can wetransfer it to you.

CanuckSigns

Thanks Phototec!
That file looks like it covers a lot of ground; quite comprehensive!
Do you know of any other files that tackle transparencies and drop shadows as well?
I know my Roland has difficulties with tasks like that.

why don't you print one of the files your roland has had trouble with in the past?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Doesn't matter at all what the test image is, as long as the print is done with a profile that matches the media it is printed on, and the operator sets it all up correctly. That awesome image could look like total crap off of a great printer not set up correctly.

Nuteksigns

Really good points, both on the "problem" Roland files and the setup.
I would like to ensure consistency between the printers I test, to compare without bias... similar conditions, same or similar speeds, media, accurate media profile, print file... am I missing any key factors?

-David.

MikeD

Include some of your production files; the test prints supplied by printer/RIP manufacturers don't really match the types of jobs we do, so they can be misleading. I think the best test would be with your preferred media under your desired quality/speed conditions. I'm evaluating a Seiko M, and the test prints looked great, but when we printed one of our common jobs (large patch of solid color,) the quality was very different.

Good luck!
Miked

Nuteksigns

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my post!
I will be running tests on the first new printer tomorrow... An Epson S-50670.

phototec

I'd say you've got all the basics covered.

Make sure they print all the settings including resolution, passes, bi/uni-directional, print time, quality setting etc etc just so you know you're actually comparing apples to apples.

GOOD POST!

Yes this is the only way to get true comparison!