• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Texas sun vs. vinyl panel sign

T_K

Here are some pics of a sign I recently reworked. Another company did the original sign maybe 5-7 years ago, according to the customer. These 4x8 panels were put up back to back with one facing north and the other facing south in central Texas.

Original sign was made of layered vinyl - black field, lime green circle, and white overlay.

texas-sun-vs-vinyl.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's something to see. Was the black also vinyl or was the substrate already black ??

Pete Moss

I wonder what would happen if you applied some high spf sunscreen to your signs before putting them out in the sun? I imagine it would eventually dry out or wash away.

T_K

That's something to see. Was the black also vinyl or was the substrate already black ??

It was white marine grade plywood. Complete coverage with the black vinyl - I'm thinking they used cast because it came up much easier than signs I know were made with calendered. Then they had a green layer on top of the black, and the white text on top of that. The black was in surprisingly good condition compared to the green. With a little heat, I was able to pull it off in large pieces instead of chipping it off like I expected.

2B

that is layered vinyl? and then they added lamination onto layered vinyl?

would have bet money that it was printed and the yellowing was from the Lamination getting UV burn. Especially with the amount of shrinkage on the edges.
we have seen that happen before on calendared lamination, both the yellowing and the shrinkage.

why are you reusing the substrate if it is that old? surely new substrates is cheaper than the time to remove and prep.