Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text fill in Omega

Discussion in 'Gerber Omega, Graphix Advantage & MacImprint' started by James Burke, Feb 1, 2013.

1. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I just started using Omega and can't find how to assign vinyl colors to text. All I see it outlined text. In SignLab or Illustrator, it's just a simple color fill, but I looked in the help menu and didn't find that.

Thanks in advance.

JB

Tags:
  2. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    After some more tinkering, I noticed I was in wireframe view. I clicked on the fill view and...behold, I now have color fills.

Thanks anyway.

JB

3. signgirl

signgirl Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Illinois
    Sometimes the simplest things can drive you crazy! I'm just starting to learn omega also

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Function keys are your friends. F8 is for Previews.

5. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State

I'm so used to CTRL+ G for grouping in Illustrator & SignLab but that's been replaced by F5 and F6 in Omega.

Overall, I really like the features it has.

JB

6. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Following well accepted standards has never been one of Gerber's strong suits.

7. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Who actually set those "standards"...Adobe, Corel, or somebody else?

JB

8. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    An educated guess ...

The standards were set by the three "A's", Adobe, Aldus and Altsys and commonly accepted by the huge number of customers who bought their software. Corel has little or nothing to do with early standards and was initially introduced as a graphics solution for early Windows OS's while the 3 A's were mainly Mac applications.

In case you're not familiar with Aldus and/or Altsys: Aldus published PageMaker and Freehand although Altsys actually wrote Freehand along with Fontographer. The chose to license Freehand to Aldus and to publish Fontographer themselves. The three companies dominated the early print and graphics markets and together agreed on the PostScript language as a standard for data communication between computers and digital printers. Among other things, this agreement led to the EPS (encapsulated postscript) file format as well as the PostScript Type 1 and Type 3 font formats.

As things evolved, Adobe bought Aldus which Altsys then had to sue Adobe to get back their rights to Freehand. Altsys then sold out to Macromedia who was eventually also bought out by Adobe.