• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thanks and a question

BPer

Hi Everybody,
Thanks so much for adding me to the site, looking forward to learning and sharing. Total newbie and not a professional so thanks in advance for your patience and tolerance,. I promise to be respectful of your time.
Retired and helping (volunteering) to teach some local art/tech classes. Have an ASC365 plotter and a Canon ImageCraft 7250 from a previous life as well as Adobe Suite and Sir Cuts A Lot. Along with various computers/servers/kilns/jewelry/woodworking gear etc.
Wondering if I can use the Plotter and Illustrator to make some stencils to make the painted wood signs that are popular today (at least here in Wisconsin). Would like to make something Christmas/Holiday themed for the kids to take home.
Tried making a stencil with contact/shelf paper and while it worked it was certainly was more work than I think would make for a successful/enjoyable experience for the kids. Wondering if I could get some suggestions for a better material that might be easier to work with. Again, I'm sure this is a dumb question for professionals, again, thanks for your patience and help.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
A plotter can do more than cut out shapes. You can also draw with them. Draw out your templates on stencel material and cut them out with a knife or cut part way through with your cutter and finish with a knife.
This forum is for professional sign makers. You might try to find a forum that focuses on the artsy stuff that you are looking for.
Try this site DIY Rustic Hand Painted Signs from Reclaimed Wood