• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thanks for the vote of confidence…. but…. i'm just not that good.

GypsyGraphics

Here's an email I just received, regarding a entrepreneurial group of students that I've worked with for the past 4 years. Just to clarify... i worked with them from Sept-Dec, 2-3 days a week in class and countless hours in my office. As it gets down to the wire, of the national competition, students were often in my office through the night. The only restriction was they couldn't come during my business hours.

I let them know last year, that i would not be volunteering this year. Apparently a month into the program, they could use a little help. (just a little mind you)

Gigi,
We don't want you to feel guilty, but if you could just meet with the students and teach them how to work that program, the one they need to use for the catalog. I'm hardly with the kids during their class because it is every day from 7:30 to 8;30 and that's just too early for me. Ugh!!
You don't have to come to every class, or even need to see the project through from beginning to end. Just meet with them 2 or 3 times. Honest . . . no more than that.

I'm guilty alright… guilty of not being able to teach a group of business student InDesign in 2-3 hours, well enough to design and layout a 20+ page project!

I don't have any problem admitting…. I'm just not that good!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Heh,
suggest they do it in PowerPoint ..... everyone uses PP with little or no training at all...

wayne k
guam usa

GypsyGraphics

they'd never make it into the competition with power point, but i might suggest something i saw on Facebook a few days ago. i think it was posted by an s101 member.

bang, bang and it's done!

DesignersPistol.jpg

WildWestDesigns

I'm guilty alright… guilty of not being able to teach a group of business student InDesign in 2-3 hours, well enough to design and layout a 20+ page project!

I don't have any problem admitting…. I'm just not that good!

Oh stop being modest. I know what an InDesign fiend you are. You should be able to easily get that done with time to spare.

Suz

GG,

Oh Gosh, I've had requests like that before. I had a high school "business" teacher who wanted me to work with her students a bit, teaching them something about how a real business runs. Turns out, with not much control or involvement from the teacher that I could see, she basically wanted them to just run my business. Haha!

The plan that I originally agreed to with the teacher was to help them through a design project from concept to completion. The final result would be to print their "new logo or design" onto garments, all same color, same design, all printing to be done same day. I planned to do this at cost, a donation of my time and use of my equipment. I had done this years earlier when my kids were attending High School. It was fun and good.

However, this last time turned out to be much more time consuming, the kids ended up wanting one of this and one of that, none of them could agree on a design or colors. Teacher seemed to have no organizational skills, and basically let the kids go at me direct, no assistance from her. She was teaching them "business"...right! I got numerous phone calls and e-mails and requests to come down to the school a couple times a day for this and that... all requests from students. No teacher involved! When I did come down to the school, the teacher did not even say boo! Many times, she wasn't even there, on a break or took off for a bit.

I had been involved in a few projects like this back when my own kids were in school. With the right teacher, it can be a great learning experience for the kids and makes you feel good to be involved. It can be a total disaster though, so proceed with caution. LOL! I guess it's a good idea to try to stick to an original plan and see how much time the teacher or the Adult who is in control is willing to contribute, and how they will keep the program on track. In my mind, that is the Teacher's job, not yours.

Good luck!

TheSnowman

7:30 to 8:00 is too early? I suggest she doesn't have a job at all if that's too early for someone willing to work to get up.

Matt-Tastic

I've learned you don't teach someone a project. you teach them a skill, and let them practice it through the project. The teacher in question does not understand that either, and thinks that by doing a project, they will retain the information.

Also, is 7:30 is "too early" for the teacher, why should it be ok for you? That's just plain lazy.

Marlene

I'm hardly with the kids during their class because it is every day from 7:30 to 8;30 and that's just too early for me. Ugh!!

oh really...what a stupid thing to say when trying to get soemone to do something for you. "I'd do it but I just can't get up that early so I am contacting you in hopes you'll do" WTF???

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Just send them a link to Lynda.com 2 or 3 times

pft ... I'm surprised a college level student doesn't know how to look up tutorials online for software.