• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thanks Phil Johnson

HulkSmash

Please report back on how well it performs.

You have to go into it with the mindset that it's an entry level machine. But even so, it's phenomenal for the money. We were buying a ZUND/ESKO - and the deal fell through, i feel like it was a blessing. This is $120,000 cheaper, and essentially does the exact same thing. It is less automated, slower, and doesn't have the "glamorous" software esko and zund have, but it has good software for the price point, that works very well, and fast enough for us. I wouldn't recommend the machine for heavy duty or detailed CNC routing. But as a digital knife finisher it has surpassed my expectations. We cut an entire roll in 12 minutes. We will use this machine until it becomes a bottle neck in production and then upgrade to a zund, which is hopefully in the next 8 months. But for now we are very happy and it keeps up with our workload.

Last edited:

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
You're welcome, Adam! I am glad we were able to get you up and running so quickly after the Graphtec went down. We appreciate the business and are looking forward to working with you going forward. If anyone else has any questions about the different F-Series models feel free to reach out. My email is philj@airmark.com or you reach our team by phone at (800)527-7778.

Thanks again, Adam!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

rjssigns

You have to go into it with the mindset that it's an level machine. But even so, it's phenomenal for the money. We were buying a ZUND/ESKO - and the deal fell through, i feel like it was a blessing. This is $120,000 cheaper, and essentially does the exact same thing. It is less automated, slower, and doesn't have the "glamorous" software esko and zund have, but it has good software for the price point, that works very well, and fast enough for us. I wouldn't recommend the machine for heavy duty or detailed CNC routing. But as a digital knife finisher it has surpassed my expectations. We cut an entire roll in 12 minutes. We will use this machine until it becomes a bottle neck in production and then upgrade to a zund, which is hopefully in the next 8 months. But for now we are very happy and it keeps up with our workload.

Thanks for the update. 12 minutes to cut a full roll is incredibly fast.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You have to go into it with the mindset that it's an level machine. But even so, it's phenomenal for the money. We were buying a ZUND/ESKO - and the deal fell through, i feel like it was a blessing. This is $120,000 cheaper, and essentially does the exact same thing. It is less automated, slower, and doesn't have the "glamorous" software esko and zund have, but it has good software for the price point, that works very well, and fast enough for us. I wouldn't recommend the machine for heavy duty or detailed CNC routing. But as a digital knife finisher it has surpassed my expectations. We cut an entire roll in 12 minutes. We will use this machine until it becomes a bottle neck in production and then upgrade to a zund, which is hopefully in the next 8 months. But for now we are very happy and it keeps up with our workload.

Glad to hear you're happy with it Adam! I've been eyeing these out since they first came out and still believe they're a great option compared to the expensive alternatives.

Did you go with the router option? I've always wondered if one of these would do okay with light duty routing (3mm acm, 6mm acrylic, 3/6mm pvc) on an occasional basis.

Are you mainly cutting vinyl with it for now? Kiss Cut or Cut through? Have you used it to cut banners etc?

Keep us posted with your thoughts as you get to use it more and more.

ProColorGraphics

Glad to hear you're happy with it Adam! I've been eyeing these out since they first came out and still believe they're a great option compared to the expensive alternatives.

Did you go with the router option? I've always wondered if one of these would do okay with light duty routing (3mm acm, 6mm acrylic, 3/6mm pvc) on an occasional basis.

Are you mainly cutting vinyl with it for now? Kiss Cut or Cut through? Have you used it to cut banners etc?

I have the standard router with mine. I have routed/engraved everything from 3mm-10mm pvc, DiBond, PETG/Acrylic, etc. I chatted with someone in Europe who cut out a bunch of 20mm acrylic letters on his. They do also have an HF Router for heavier use. I have also heard that it has the option for polishing the edges, which the standard one doesn't. But has a BIG price tag too.

Kiss cutting and cut through is a breeze on vinyl. I got a second kiss cut tool setup to do detailed cut outs as it gives a little better finish.

Cutting out banners, posters, etc. is also fast and easy!

HulkSmash

We have the basic router. It routes everything you listed no problem.. a bit slower, then the big boys, but again entry level machine its to be expected.. but it does the job right. We through cut and kiss cut mostly without issue. Banner, no issue. Posers.. no issue... super fast/easy and just user friendly. If you're on the fence, let this push you over. Trust me it's worth the money...i mean it replaces 2 employees and doesn't call in sick...

CanuckSigns

How do these machines deal with through cuts? Since they use a big conveyor belt as the table, I don't understand how you can cut on that with a knife, let alone a router head. Is the belt a consumable? Can anyone enlighten me?

Christian @ 2CT Media

How do these machines deal with through cuts? Since they use a big conveyor belt as the table, I don't understand how you can cut on that with a knife, let alone a router head. Is the belt a consumable? Can anyone enlighten me?
The knife barely kisses the belt and the router requires a sacrificial layer to protect the belt

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We have the basic router. It routes everything you listed no problem.. a bit slower, then the big boys, but again entry level machine its to be expected.. but it does the job right. We through cut and kiss cut mostly without issue. Banner, no issue. Posers.. no issue... super fast/easy and just user friendly. If you're on the fence, let this push you over. Trust me it's worth the money...i mean it replaces 2 employees and doesn't call in sick...

Man that's really good to hear. I need to check one out in person and see for myself. Thanks for the review, enjoy the new toy!

He got the 1612, I have the same one. So ~64" wide by 47" deep. When cutting stuff longer than the bed, it is surprising accurate when feeding and continuing to finish the cut!

That's also really good to hear. I'd love to get one of the full size tables but we just don't have the space, and that would trigger us having to move to a bigger shop which I'm trying to put off for a couple of years.
The smaller footprint (and of course price point) of this model is definitely more appealing for us. Summa has done a good job of covering sizes that none of the expensive cutters sell.
Regarding cutting longer jobs, do these units come equipped with the media advance clamps or is that an add on?

Did you guys go with any of the other options like extension tables, baskets, Roll up etc? I feel like those would all be valuable but I also feel like we could use stuff around the shop to replace the need for feed tables, baskets etc. I do love the Summa baskets on their plotters though lol.

ProColorGraphics

I have had zero issues with the size! I did this one both based on price and space, I couldn't fit a bigger one in my space. I honestly have no reason to upgrade or want a bigger, although the 1832 would be the ultimate to have in my opinion. That is only based on speed with needing to feed less, which speed hasn't been an issue for me.

I have pretty much every tool. haha! I do have the basket and is VERY handy. I got 2 of the Summa extension tables and they work great, but are very heavy. I would think 2 6' folding tables would do the same thing. (mine were thrown in on the deal). I was told they don't offer the take up reel for this anymore as it wasn't a big seller when they had it. It does come complete with a conveyor system with advance clamps. It only comes with the drag knife, so whatever tools you want are additional. I would HIGHLY suggest getting (2) of the tangential modules right away. I tend to use 2 tools in a lot of my jobs, so changing out tools all fo the time would suck!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have had zero issues with the size! I did this one both based on price and space, I couldn't fit a bigger one in my space. I honestly have no reason to upgrade or want a bigger, although the 1832 would be the ultimate to have in my opinion. That is only based on speed with needing to feed less, which speed hasn't been an issue for me.

I have pretty much every tool. haha! I do have the basket and is VERY handy. I got 2 of the Summa extension tables and they work great, but are very heavy. I would think 2 6' folding tables would do the same thing. (mine were thrown in on the deal). I was told they don't offer the take up reel for this anymore as it wasn't a big seller when they had it. It does come complete with a conveyor system with advance clamps. It only comes with the drag knife, so whatever tools you want are additional. I would HIGHLY suggest getting (2) of the tangential modules right away. I tend to use 2 tools in a lot of my jobs, so changing out tools all fo the time would suck!

Thanks for the feedback and advice Matt, really appreciate it!

Couple more questions for you guys, sorry Adam don't mean to hijack your thread.

1. What are you guys doing for workflow? Anyone here using Onyx to print then cut to a Summa F series? My goal is to print from Onyx to our Rolands and Oce Flatbed then cut most jobs on the F series.

2. Does anyone have the site prep/install requirement documents? Curious about the footprint and wiring requirements for the 1612 model.

3. Is it loud with the vacuum running? Like louder than a flatbed with vacuum table? I'm assuming it's as loud as a cnc when routing but not sure about regular knife cutting with vacuum cranked. If we can fit one of these in our shop I'll have to figure out how far to keep it away so it's not too rowdy.

Thanks again.

Suz

Congrats on the new machine! Airmark/Summa is the best! I love my machine, love the Customer Service too! I didn't get the same model machine, but love mine too!

ProColorGraphics

Thanks for the feedback and advice Matt, really appreciate it!

Couple more questions for you guys, sorry Adam don't mean to hijack your thread.

1. What are you guys doing for workflow? Anyone here using Onyx to print then cut to a Summa F series? My goal is to print from Onyx to our Rolands and Oce Flatbed then cut most jobs on the F series.

2. Does anyone have the site prep/install requirement documents? Curious about the footprint and wiring requirements for the 1612 model.

3. Is it loud with the vacuum running? Like louder than a flatbed with vacuum table? I'm assuming it's as loud as a cnc when routing but not sure about regular knife cutting with vacuum cranked. If we can fit one of these in our shop I'll have to figure out how far to keep it away so it's not too rowdy.

Thanks again.

1) I use Caldera. I don't have the "GrandCut" addition, so I setup my files in Illustrator then send the print file to Caldera and the Cut file to the Summa software. Works great for me.

2) I should have the site prep file. Send me your email and I will send it. I think I have 1-2' on each side, then 4-5' on each feeding end. I just wanted enough to feed a 10' board through.

3) I would say the noise is like a loud shop vac. When the router is going, it is extra loud. haha. I routed plywood not too long ago and that was CRAZY loud! haha. Overall, I don't think it's bad at all.