• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

That big order I've been waiting on

Vinyldog

Got this in my e-mail of all places:

Dear Customer (?) to whom it may concern,
My name is Mr. XXXX and I want to make a inquiry of some
Banner. The type of banner I will like from you is vinyl and the size I
want is 32"x60" with grommet on the banner. I want this Message on the
banner is (IT SHALL COME TO PASS ).

Kindly get me some price for a Quantity of 100 banners and please advise me the Payment method you do accept and also how long will it take you before getting me
those banners for pickup to be Schedule. Please advice to my email as
soon as you received this email.

Thank You Very Much.

This might be bigger than that deal I made with that Nigerian Prince!

signman315

Signmaker
I researched this as it happened to me. I believe they make their money by placing the order, receiving the order, having you arrange the international shipping, and then disputing the charge on their credit card. The end result...they end up with a product that they can sell on the internet for nothing, and you pay for it because they dispute the charges. I'm not exactly sure how it's a success or the details but I've gotten those same emails a couple of times. I've even communicated with the scammer and told them if they bring a check to the shop then I'll have the order made in a day! They backed off immediately. We've had customers dispute small charges and get their money back and the credit card company held us liable while the customer kept the product, even though it was all legit and the customer was in the wrong.

Vinyldog

I presumed they were just wanting to find out if I take credit cards so they could try and get my processing business, but that other scheme sounds much better. It's a generic message so that is probably right.

Andy D

Actually, I think they make money via using their shipping company somehow,
they pay you the full amount including shipping, but specify how it needs to be shipped &
you pay for the shipping....as soon as it's shipped they reverse all of the charges.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, it doesn't matter what their scheme is...... they are crooked and will find a sucker every so often.

I get the same e-mails about signs, but i also get them for cardboard boxes, electrical supplies, cleaning supplies, restaurant equipment, clothing and whatever else. They throw ewnough sh!t at the fan and eventually, something will stick. :spam:

T_K

Yeah, I've seen something similar to this in the past. The best one I've seen though, was in great English asking for a ton of standard stop signs. I figured it was a scam, but went ahead and got a quote from our supplier and jacked the price way up. Figured that would scare them off. But they wrote back and basically said "Great! Please contact so and so at this shipping company to send them to arrange shipping to Europe." So I told them, sorry we don't handle international shipping. And he resent the same email several more times.

It's sad that it was a scam. Would have been the easiest $5000 I've ever made.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I actually know a sign shop owner who fell for this earlier this year. He ended up lettering 40 two by six foot banners with no deposit, just an email from what he said "sounded like a nice man of god". I asked him how besides being stuck with the banner he got scammed. He said he had to prepay $3,000 shipping for the banners to go to a childrens home in Africa. Then the nice preacher would reimburse his shipping payment and banner charges with one payment. I felt so sorry for this guy. I can't believe he never perceived one red flag in the whole deal though! Especially prepaying 3 grand shipping to a western union terminal in Africa.

Fares Bayazeed

Got this in my e-mail of all places:

Dear Customer (?) to whom it may concern,
My name is Mr. XXXX and I want to make a inquiry of some
Banner. The type of banner I will like from you is vinyl and the size I
want is 32"x60" with grommet on the banner. I want this Message on the
banner is (IT SHALL COME TO PASS ).

Kindly get me some price for a Quantity of 100 banners and please advise me the Payment method you do accept and also how long will it take you before getting me
those banners for pickup to be Schedule. Please advice to my email as
soon as you received this email.

Thank You Very Much.

This might be bigger than that deal I made with that Nigerian Prince!
I get orders bigger than that in my text messages. Kidding...Congratulations!