• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The $50 4x4

Deaton Design

Techman, you're really taking this the wrong way. You didnt piss me off or make me mad. But, it was like you were giving us some good advice, and then slapping us in the head when we questioned it a little bit further. You're no doubt a help on this website, probably much more than I am, as I dont respond as often as I need to. But, I too have been doing this a very long time, and know a few things about it, and I know Im not going to do these signs that cheap, leads or not. Im still a cut vinyl shop, no printer here, so I have to weed and cut and apply every one of these. This was just my opinion, and I stand by it. I appreciate all the replies.:)

GP

Not sure how this post turned sour...

I think Techman had a great idea to turn a dead horse into a possible client. Not sure it would work for us, but it is a unique way to find prospects and I appreciate the idea. And the leasing idea is brilliant.

And, in the others' defense, I think they were simply asking follow-ups.

Thanks Tech (and all the others) for keeping things civil and making suck a valuable forum,

GP

Tater, I have you beat. A lady called today and asked if I could beat $80 each for 20-30 4'x8' 4 mm coro signs to put around a football field. She wanted 2-color "with maybe a few logos." The other shop apparently agreed to include grommets and guaranteed they would last 2 years. She couldn't understand why I didn't jump at the chance to make less than $10 per hour to make her signs. When I told her I wouldn't even consider it, she added some of the parents "could probably help install them" if that was a sticking point.

jiarby

If you have a flatbed then direct printing 4x4 coros is easy peasy. If you buy loads of 4x8 coro then you know what you pay per sheet... if you can sell it for $50 and get a 20pc job then you are getting $1000 for a 10 sheet job.

Of course, then you have to figure out how to make the payment on that $250k printer!

You can make money doing it. You just can't compare apples & oranges.. doing them in vinyl, vs direct print.

Baz

If you have a flatbed then direct printing 4x4 coros is easy peasy. If you buy loads of 4x8 coro then you know what you pay per sheet... if you can sell it for $50 and get a 20pc job then you are getting $1000 for a 10 sheet job.

Of course, then you have to figure out how to make the payment on that $250k printer!

Exactly. I would never buy such an expensive piece of equipment in order to offer lowball coro prices. I could just as easilly buy a new printer for 20k. Slap a bulk ink system in it, print on dirt cheap vinyl, stick it on coro and sell it for the same price and still make a minute profit. Difference is i bet i will have a much easyer time making my payments than the one who bought the flatbed.

I am dealing with some kuckleheads who are doing the exact same thing around here.

signrios

the local ball park guy wants me to do them for $65 for a 4x8', he's nuts, it aint gonna happen.
yesterday i was bidding on some full color prints 10x12" ans established shop paying way more overhead than i do, did them for $1 each ??? for 200. on cheap oracal 3 year vinyl

trickedout

Wow decent thread got a little out of wack. Techman, Your Ideas are brilliant just keep them coming. As far as the bashing and said well it wont work in my area yad yad yad..Have you tried?!? You say you would hate to step on someones toes by going to the Business's direct and going around this middle man that supposedly gets nothing out of it execpt to Lower the sign prices in your area by letting HIM dictate the price... How can a Local parent or School board member Dictate what these signs cost, yet thats exactly what is happening. In this world im not afraid to go above and beyond anything and anyone if Theres a chance to A Make more money and B to no only get a little job but to talk one on one with all these said Business owners. Thats just priceless marketing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to see Tech take this to heart like this, but I totally understand where he's coming from.

I don't think John or Stacy meant anything by their posts, but I've seen so many people get kicked in the teeth for offering up some really good ideas. You might not be able to duplicate it exactly... you might have to tailor it to fit your needs, but it was a good idea.

We do it a little differently. We try to educate the customer into how they can do this and keep a sign going for years, collecting the money from the sponsors, but we don't lower our prices to near extinction. Most of our sponsors pay about what the sign costs and then the organization collects the money on it for a few more years and THEY keep all the mullah from later sales.

:popcorn:
I'm gonna add a little twist to this one... and probably piss some of you non-believers off some more.

About three or so weeks ago, a municipality approached us about doing signs. They told us their budget. I asked them to e-mail me a sample. It looked terrible. I fixed it up, e-mailed them back and they said, it looks wonderful, but we won't be able to afford those nice things. I said, yes you will. Let me make my offer.

They were 18" x 24" 1-sided. My cost is next to nothing to print a 4' x 8' 1-sided on the flatbed and the Cor-X is like $10. I told her, I wanted a sign.... Okay. I wanted to be in the special brochure.... Okay. I wanted to be in the website bulletin which is a nice feature.... all at no cost..... Okay. Last, I wanted her to have all of the sponsors contact us, so we could go over their information. Okay. They get the signs 'Free'.

We haven't printed them yet. We're doing it tomorrow. 19 of them. I already have four trucks out of the deal to letter and I just landed that municipality away from their current sign shop provider and they already contacted me about signs throughout the area. Earlier today, another guy called and wants job signs and a truck lettered. Best one.... a customer of the other sign shop called Friday or so and asked for a meeting about signs for their business. He's been looking around and said he will look no further.

So, this worked for us and in this situation. I'm not recommending anyone else do this, but it can work, just as Tech said and even better.

All of our other ball fields pay and they get a a discount, but these fields and complexes have paid off very well over the years. Don't knock it til ya try it. Of course, having the right equipment certainly helps. Without our flatbed, I never would've offered free, but it's getting easier.

Before someone says, you pay 250k for a machine to do things cheaper... yeah, that's really smart........ remember, I paid for my machine cash. I don't buy what I can't afford. Now I have an advantage and I use it. It's called a 'Loss Leader' and it works.

tcorn1965

Do first one for the main event FREE. Use coro. Lease the rest to the sponsors of the event for $50 bux a year. End of season go back and get their signs. Store them safely.
Next year lease them to the sponsors again. 60 bucks year. One free to the main event.
Now you have 110 bux from the same sign.

Third year they look a little rough,, maybe. Lease them again for 60 bux. Now you have 170 bux from the same sign.

All this plus a list of people with whom you have a lead list to upsell other items.

Add this to your 7 fingers of life in your marketing program.

I personally think this is a great business model...I do not see the downside...Thanks Tech!

Terry

Baz

I can certanly understand Gino's "loss leader" point of view. In his situation it works out quite well. Although i don't think many people have bought such an expensive purchase cash. At least not around here. So this is why i think it to be crazy to be paying well over a grand per month on the printer and give stuff away.

Getting back to the 50$ 4x4 coro. I actually do those for a local charity that i support year round. I do maybee 4-5 fundraising events per year for them. Up until now all i got was putting my logo along with the other sponsors and the odd contact info from meeting people at the event dinners and such. Nothing really of importance. Now i'm thinking to ask for all sponsor contact information and send them a simple email introducing myself, telling them of the work i did for said event and giving them my contact info if ever they would be interested for a quote on future work.

God i hate learning tips and tricks from you guys!:banghead::banghead:

J/K of course!

Locals Find!

I don't see where the problem doing these signs 4x4 coro signs for $50 each is. I would sub these out to a flatbed trade printer. I know I could clear just under 50% on this job.

Like Gino said you get those clients to call you to set everything up and you make money both ways. You don't have to own a 250,000 machine like Gino. You just need to know a company that does thats willing & wanting to put it to work and/or use techman's idea. Which I think is a great idea and I am going to put it to work immediately.

Listening to you guys go back and forth about why you wouldn't do this job. Is kinda funny too me. I guess us "Brokers" sometimes do have some aspects of this sign game figured out better than some of the regular shop guys.

Locals Find!

Every now and again, you guys deserve me being an Adholio. This just happened to be one of those times.

Have one on me tonight. :toasting:

HulkSmash

addy, would you like me to unarchived all of your how to price and print questions you've posted? For someone who knows more you sure know nothing.

Just for ishes and giggles I emailed one of the few wholesale companies in my state that has a flatbed. I asked them to quote me their flatbed price for what this lady wanted me to do for $80 (minus the installation, of course).

I just got an email.

20 s/s 4'x8' = $113.72 each, $2,274.44 total

30 s/s 4'x8' = $113.64 each, $3,409.16 total

:ROFLMAO:

This doesn't include freight. It would require me to spend 3 hours and $50 in fuel to go pick them up.

Locals Find!

addy, would you like me to unarchived all of your how to price and print questions you've posted? For someone who knows more you sure know nothing.

No need colorado. Note the use of my word "sometimes" in my post. This just happened to be a "sometime". Let me just have this one and enjoy it. Will ya?

iSign

Every now and again, you guys...

done right there...

you wanted to find a way to be a part of this community... you sucked at it.. a lot of us gave you chance after chance...
-
-
-
but YOU have just made it abundantly clear that there will ALWAYS be an "us" and "them" with you here... and you chose "them"...fine!!
-
-
-
don't be too surprised if some of "us" don't bend over backwards trying to help you cross over anymore :cool:

Locals Find!

done right there...

you wanted to find a way to be a part of this community... you sucked at it.. a lot of us gave you chance after chance...
-
-
-
but YOU have just made it abundantly clear that there will ALWAYS be an "us" and "them" with you here... and you chose "them"...fine!!
-
-
-
don't be too surprised if some of "us" don't bend over backwards trying to help you cross over anymore :cool:

Doug, Really?? You guys give me heat and I don't whine about it. I take it. I give you guys a bit of your own medicine one time and I am ostracized?

If you really feel that strongly about it. I apologize. Didn't mean to get your panties all in a bunch.