• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Basics

dlndesign

I am doing some research and this is the perfect place to get the information i am looking for. Basically I am looking for the fundamentals it takes to start and run a sign shop. From shop location, tools, equipment (printers, routers) to employees (designer, production, office assistant) to the shop itself, sq footage for a simple banner and vinyl shop to a full wrap shop or a monument shop. What types of software, computers, networks, internet speed... To Protocol, QC, and customer interaction, or company associations (Le Tip/BNI). Hours of operation.. Open for customers, and open for business. Also, if there is anything missing here, just let me know what you think it takes!

Thanks in advance

Bigdawg

Just Me
Ummm I think the only thing missing is research on your part for all of the above... we don't mind to help here, but speaking for myself, I'm not interested in doing your market/research or business plan for you.

cOrKinSA

What's your budget?
Your best off just going Franchise or taking Business Management in college if you don't know where to begin. That right there will solve 70% off your questions.

coyote

the best way to learn the business is to work in the business. Find a good all-service shop that will take you on and teach you about the day to day aspects of a sign shop. You can use the knowledge you have gained in whatever graphics or business courses you've taken to augment the real nuts and bolts of work experience. Be ready to start low if you have no experience or particular expertise to bring with.

Be willing to do everything, from customer service to digging holes. Experience is the best teacher. In the old days, they used to call it "apprenticeship". There are easier ways to make a living, but it's pretty satisfying.
C

ChiknNutz

Uh, yeah. If you are simply stating that this is a great place to RESEARCH that info, then yes. But, if you are asking for a boilerplate list from A-Z...good luck with that. It takes years to figure it all out, not to mention that it is an ever-changing BEAST that can be hard to get your arms around at times.

Welcome though!

dlndesign

Big Dawg,
I wasn't expecting anyone to do any work for me, I am just looking for opinions on the things that I am researching.
Everyone else, so far: Thanks! Yes, I have worked in the business for 6 years now, and I do know most of the basics, I am just looking for other approaches, so to speak, on the same topic. Kinda looking for the best of the best in a way.

Hope that makes since.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Don't take it personally dlndesign - odds are I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed :smile:
This is a great place to research... it just struck me that you didn't offer any of your thoughts so I took it to mean you wanted us to do it for you... good luck to you.

imaSIGNr

It will be different for everyone, depending on many variables, like budget, local, ordinances, building codes etc.