• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The best backing tape for delicate lettering

http://www.agreatimpression.com/category_9/Wedding-Vinyl-Wall-Art.htm

I did a vinyl wall lettering. Small and intricate. I take the excess vinyl or "weaving" and left the letters. Wen I put my back up tape the tape stick too much that the letters dont stick in to the wall. So I lost the work.
I need a backing tape for refine lettering or small little lines. If you see this website above theres little black lines stick to the wall. Which backing tape I use????? Or how I do it.
thanks,
Julie

Last edited:

Pro Image

http://www.agreatimpression.com/category_9/Wedding-Vinyl-Wall-Art.htm

How I transfer a work like this one on the wall. Which backing tape I use?
I try with the backing tape I have all the work were lost.

thanks,
Julie

You really need to EXPLAIN yourself a little better for me to help you cause I haven't a clue what you typed.........

If you want to put a 2 color graphic on the wall like the link you posted you need to put the Red up first and then the black over it.......if that is what you are trying to say........

Malkin

use a transfer/application tape that is marked as low tack.

Or just peel it off very slow and careful-like.

trik

there are lots of applications tape to try, transferrite is good, but a common mistake is your plotter could be cutting to deep, so when peeling off the backing paper letters are staying to that or the paper can even stick to the letters, so adjustments could be made on that. As Malkin mentioned peel it slow and watch when something sticks or doesn't so you can make the adjustment.

good luck!

S

scarface

For wall vinyl, Oracal makes a HT55 i think model just for wall vinyl and 631, Check it out.

RandallMac

If you are using Transferite, after your lettering is applied to the wall, spray Rapid Tac application fluid on the transfer tape. It will soak into the paper and will peal off with very little resistance. Also, starting with a medium or low tac tape will help.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I used to do alot of art galleries. We are talking paragraphs of .5" characters with serifs. We used 3M SCPS2.

When all you use is a squeegee to install, only the high points of the textured paint make contact with the adhesive.

The key is to use a rivit brush with lots of pressure in an overlapping circular motion right before you peal the mask. This insures you have good contact and heats the adhesive up as well. Make sure you go slow when pealing the mask and watch all the caracters as you go. If one starts to pull up I use my finger or rivit brush to burnish it back down.

jiarby

you gotta post more details..

what vinyl did you use
what transfer tape did you use
what tack was that transfer tape
what was the finish of the wall

It sounds like your transfer tape was tackier than the letters to the wall, right?? So... getting a lower tack transfer tape. You can also apply the whole sheet and weed it on the wall.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't want to weed on the wall. There are spots on the wall where the primer and paint doesn't stick well to the dusty mud joints.

Early on I pulled paint off walls while positioning the graphic with my masking tape. Now I teach people to stick the tape on their shirt several times like a lint brush before sticking it to the wall. Basically your making your own low tac tape.

If you are doing gallery work make sure you have enough extra mask around your graphic. Your squeegee and rivit brush can leave marks on matte or eggshell walls. Your knuckles will even leave marks on darker walls. You can get some of these off with a piece of the mask or some low tac masking tape.

B Snyder

The product you are trying to refer to is called transfer tape, application tape or premask. It's not called backing tape.