• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The best brand of razor blade?

121a

We use razor blades that come in a clear box with a red lable. They get dull insanely fast. After trimming maybe 10 things on our cut mat, they are dull. Also, we use them to pop the occosional bubble. If we pop 5 bubbles with them, they are toast.

So, what do you guys use? Any help would be appreciated.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've never been picky abour razor blades but for our snap-off blades (we use Olfa SVR2 knives) we really only use the Olfa UltraMax black blades - do NOT use the black max blades on glass though. They will scratch glass.

MikeD

I didn't have room for another large laminator with longitudinal slitters, so I bought a cheap small one and made a slitting device for it. I've cut about 3,000' without changing blades yet. I wanted something easy to maintain, so I went with eXacto blades. A male-female blade set-up is preferred, rotary blades are great (Olfa mentioned above) but the eXacto blade I chose is working well too. It's a newly developed "sharpest blade ever..." from eXacto:
the Z series
http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/11-Blade-Classic-Fine-Point.aspx

Good luck!
Miked

Jake Indiana

I really like using the 9mm 30 degree Olfa knives for wraps and for day to day cutting. Anyone have thoughts on other brands for replacement blades? Olfa is expensive (over $1/blade) so I tried buying Excel but they dull much faster. I just found Foshio has Qty 100 for $15 or NT Cutter for the same. Worth a shot or am I just going to be disappointed?

CanuckSigns

I've found the black blades loose their tip too easily, they are very brittle and the top snaps off almost effortlessly

Z SIGNS

For everyday cutting of stuff I like the sheetrock blades and handles from the depot.
Really like the stiletto ones.
For finer work I like the best #11's with or without a handle.
I knew an old time ruby cutter that never used a handle and between cuts he put the the blade between his lips.

I'm with Z. I use an Olfa Slimline knife and blades when working on vehicles and other things where I need control and precision and I use standard utility blades in a Craftsman lock blade style holder that flips open for most everything around the shop. We buy 100 at a time for like $12-15.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Olfa work well , I lucked into buying extra blades , handles and roller units at a hardware / flea market surplus store - cleaned them out - $50. For a 18x24 box full of new sealed replacement blades packs and multiple knife units . He had no clue what they were
Also ended up with many many steel and aluminum rulers ( 1 foot to 8 foot ) And rubber safety runners / mats

Jake Indiana

Wow that’s the steal of a lifetime! I ended up buying NT blades (Qty 100 for $15). I’ll see how they do. I know I won’t be buying any more Excel blades. They go dull way too fast.