• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The BIG LAG in CorelDRAW ?

Replicator

OK, now for the convoluted details :

I have a newer 64bit system with a zillion gigs of ram . . .

Ever since Corel X3, through X4, X5 and now trial of X6, I have a big issue with program lag. (ONLY ON THIS SYSTEM)

It only happens during save, export and closing the program, but never during normal operations of the program.

1. Has anybody else experienced this ?
2. Has anyone resolved this issue ?

I have researched this extensively, but never been able to resolve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Thanks !

Christian @ 2CT Media

It means that Corel processes a lot of data in the background... For instance saving files, its not done instantly and take quite a bit of drive cycles, memory and processing power. You're saying that your system is newer and has more than enough memory, so this means its likely to be a slow hard drive. To fix this issues you need a faster hard drive, solid state drive, or raid drive group. This needs to have faster access times, read/write speeds, and iops.

Replicator

Yeah, I'm not buying that this is the problem, since this is my newest system with the most power and I run the same programs on 5 other systems none of which have the issues......

This system was custom built with the best state of the art parts, meaning the drives as well . . . It's something else, but I just don't know what !!!!!

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you are confident it isn't a drive issue I'd recommend a complete uninstall of everything corel including a registry purge and then reinstall what you need to see if that fixes it.

Techman

I'd recommend a complete uninstall of everything corel including a registry purge and then reinstall what you need to see if that fixes it.

Why? What is the reasoning?

Replicator

I agree, especially since I've tried that over the past 2 years and it did nothing except waste my time and efforts :-(

Christian @ 2CT Media

Why? What is the reasoning?

My reasoning is that if he eliminated hardware as an issue (Which I'm confident it is) the only option is software.... it has been said it works fine on other computers.

With windows systems registry artifacts on reinstalls can cause lasting issues which is why most software companies recommend fresh installs after purging the registry of all related entries to the software you are reinstalling.

I get these lag issues in Corel when I save to my slow single external drive, but if it goes to the raid system or my ssd I use for my active working files I don't have any lag in windows. This is simply because Corel can finish its operations quickly and not effect system resources.

Also if the computer is 2 years old it could be other hardware issues... those items are no where near state-of-the-art anymore.

Replicator

I have 2 6 year old computers running X5 and have never had this issue.

I know for a fact it has a substandard hard-drive from WD . . . NO LAG

OldPaint

it would be lot more helpful for us IF..........instead a 64 bit system and a gizzilion ram))))
can you be a little more specific??? like if its a 64 bit system, and your running a 32 bit program??? is it a dual core quad core or something else? are the CORES GANGED OR UNGANGED?
WHAT OTHER PROGRAMS HAVE YOU GOT LOADED ON THIS...........different from the older machines?
remember.......95% OF COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE OPERATOR ERROR)))))))))))))))

J

john1

Been using x5 and x6 on my 64 bit i7 3.4 quad core with 16 gigs with no issues

Replicator

Same here, no issues, except the lag during save, export and closing down program . . . Also a 64 bit i7 quad core with 16gigs ram !!!!!

I'm really stumped at this point cuz it all works perfect on other computers

Been using x5 and x6 on my 64 bit i7 3.4 quad core with 16 gigs with no issues

Pat Whatley

Interesting because I'm getting lag on it, too, but in a different way and only on my new computer. When I click on a menu button, say the FILE button, it takes a second for it to open up. When I go to save a file it takes a second for the save box to open, then another split second before it will let me type in the name I want to save the file as. These delays are minimal, 1.5 seconds MAX, but they are annoying enough that it's slowed my productivity down. I'm used to flying through basic commands without thinking about them, it's like learning the software all over again having to wait for each command to process.

Replicator

I'm starting to think it's a 64bit issue and even though they are now 64bit software that makes no difference in the compatibility . . .

Also probably just some kind of conflict that I would never be able to pinpoint with all the CRAP loaded on my system :)

Techman

Corel code is rock solid. Very few problems any more..

With this stated.. I would believe there is a software conflict.
Software problems are almost always conflicts with other software. Especially the stuff that runs in the back ground..

For example.
AVG has been losing ground because of the lag it causes with the computer..
Norton is completely dis missed by geeks as is Mcafee.
There are a few other monitor softwares out there that cause a lag.

The first thing I do when I see a machine with a software lag is look at the green screen in the task manager. It will tell lots of info.

TwoNine

I haven't heard of any issues like this. :| - But I am running x6 on two systems currently and both are operating fine, with the exception of that Power Clip problem I had - which was weird. I posted that already in the Corel section.

But - I know it's not a 'great fix' or anything, but have you just tried simply re-installing x6 on the machine in question? It may be worth a try???

Sorry for your problems - wish I could be of more help.

TwoNine

Just another thought - sorry for the x2 post - Have you tried re-starting you computer and start running Corel, and only Corel first. I'm wondering if it may be something similar to an IRQ (Interrupt Request) with hardware - only with software - trying to reserve memory space as the program is initialized. (So if PS, or anything that supports mulit-core processing is opened first - I'm wondering if it is 'reserving' it's place.)

Also check your 'start>all programs>startup' folder and see if there is something that doesn't belong.

You can also....In a pinch - change the priority of certain processes via Task Manager. Goto Crtl+Alt+Del - select Task Manager - goto Processes tab, right click on Corel and set its priority to High. - Should trump everything else and then you can see if it is a conflict issue. Possibly....

Okay - now I'm out of ideas. See if any of those may help...

-Chad