• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Big Squegee

jkdbjj

Out of curiosity, when using laminate with this BS, do you have to use transparent vinyl, or can you use material like 3M 8518 and other popular laminates? Does it really put enough pressure to eliminate most silvering and hazy look?
My fear is using "pressure sensitive" laminates, denotes enough "pressure". So, what am I missing?

Salmoneye

Most laminators only use the weight of the roller, it doesn't take much pressure. You will get a little silvering with the BS vs a laminator but by morning they will look identical.

FatCat

FWIW - I started out with only a BS and used it for over a year before I could afford a laminator. Even laminated a whole box truck wrap with 3M 8518 with it, (16 - 4' x 7' panels) but I will admit that was something that required a helper and I don't wish to do again. ;-)

Basically, the BS will leave silvering to some degree on most laminates. The trick is to make sure you are using a very flat, very smooth surface. Any knicks, grooves, etc in your laminating surface will be mirrored in your laminate. Also, allow your laminated print to rest overnight or 24 hours and most of that silvering goes away. Lastly, you'll also notice better results using it in a warmer environment vs colder.

jkdbjj

Loving the device, it helps when training others on how to mount simple foamboards etc...

jimmiesmart

I have a 60" BS and the previous owner of my shop could not ever get it to work well for lamination. I would love to use it as we currently send out lamination jobs out to a competitor for lamination. The table is plywood, so not really that smooth do you think that is the problem? He say's that he always gets tons of small bubbles.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Most "small bubbles" are no more than what is commonly called silvering. Silvering will go away over night. If putting pressure on the bubbles makes them disappear, it is silvering.

TheSnowman

Doing it on glass will help too. I just have a counter top, but if I come across a giant piece of glass...I'm using it.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I got some glass and it has some advantages and disadvantages. Don't try to use a rolling cutter on it. Dulls them on the 1st revolution. Razor knives work like a charm though.

I got some glass doors from a shopping center that got torn down. !/2" thick X 7 X 4. makes for some real flat tables.