• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The costs of running a business...

Checkers

In another recent post, someone commented about having to charge so much per hour even though I'm a home based business.

Well, since it's that "tax" time of year again, I thought it would be good to share some of the cost/expenses of running a home based business that I have "budgeted" into my overhead and hourly rate.

A large chunk of my overhead is rent/mortgage and the related expenses. Even though I am home based, the business must pay its "fair share". And, since the business occupies nearly 50% of the house, the business must pick up nearly 50% of the mortgage, taxes and related expenses.

The business also pays for its fair share of utilities, electric, gas, water, sewer, trash, alarm monitoring, etc., and pays the full amount for other expenses that I would normally not have if I did not run the business out of the home. Such things as high speed internet, additional phone lines, etc. are all business expenses.

Then there's the cost of maintenance and upkeep of the property and yes, the business must contribute there too. Everything from lawn maintenance and snow removal to a new water heater or roof all are figured into the cost of running my business.

And, just like a retail business, cost of running and maintaining a home based business adds up. There are the usual monthly expenses like sales and advertising, insurance, and general upkeep of equipment. I must also budget for the eventual upgrades, repairs and/or replacement of the equipment and also account for the extra wear and tear on my vehicle(s) because I tend to travel more than I would with a retail location.

Let’s not forget the investment of training and continuing education in the form of travel to meets, seminars and trade shows, magazine and web site subscriptions, dues to trade associations, etc.

What I get paid is somewhat insignificant because I have my CPA determine my “salary”. However, the amount I have budgeted into my overhead is adequate to cover my personal living expenses. In addition to what I budget for my pay, the business needs to provide for my eventual retirement and there is an amount set aside in the budget for my eventual retirement too.

And let’s not forget the "perks" of running the business. Some expenses that were once personal now can be written off as business expenses. For example, as officers of the corporation, the business pays for life insurance for my wife and me - up to a certain amount. Don't take my advice though, I would strongly urge you to consult your CPA to see what you can or can not expense.

And finally, there’s the cost of professional fees. While somewhat insignificant compared to other expenses, my CPA makes sure what I pay in taxes is minimal while retaining as much profit as possible. And, my attorney makes sure the business is protected while allowing every possible resource to collect what I am owed.

The most important thing to remember when starting and running your business is it's your business and it must provide for your wants and needs. And, the best way to do this is to plan. I would strongly recommend starting with your personal budget and grow from there because, if you don’t know your personal needs, how can you build your business to provide for them?

Checkers

binki

i would say you are pretty bold to charge half of your mortgage to the business

i would also say that not everyone has a tax year ending on 12/31 so it might not matter right now for us (only a c-corp can have this)

one thing you eluded to but didn't mention specifically is that only a c-corp can offer a lot of the perks or non-cash benefits that are not taxable on a personal level

Mosh

I try to make (on paper) the least amount of profit possible. It is real easy to do farming. Doing our taxes is way complicated with our farm operartion. Did you know farmers must file our taxes in March, not the April 15 the rest of you enjoy.

astro8

Hey Mosh, change your avatar back to the old one... the one with the rooster hair...

I don't like the way you're looking at me in this one...too Fabio for me, it ruins your rep....

Checkers

Judging by the comments already, I would like to clear up some things.

First, the items I mention are used for budgeting purposes and calculating my overhead. The actual business expenses and/or contributions vary depending on how good (or bad) the business does. I let my CPA worry about that though.

And yes, the business is set up as an "S" corporation which affords some additional perks to the business owners. However, there are some drawbacks too. While this model works for my business, it may not work for others.

The point of this post is to insure that you are covering all of your expenses when figuring your hourly rate. Also, be sure to include your profit into that rate too.

And thanks for the positive comments.

Checkers

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I try to make (on paper) the least amount of profit possible. It is real easy to do farming. Doing our taxes is way complicated with our farm operartion. Did you know farmers must file our taxes in March, not the April 15 the rest of you enjoy.

Perhaps, but then you have the schedule F, the government's gift to farmers and anyone posing as a farmer, which isn't all that hard to do. With the magical schedule F, virtually everything you own becomes part of the business and every cent you spend on most anything becomes a deductible expense.

I had an uncle, a stereotypical Wisconsin dairy farmer, who was pissing and moaning one year because he only made something on the order of $3000. Yet he motored about in a fleet of brand-new vehicles, traded in each year, lived in a house that was palatial by anyone's standards, never missed a meal, and all of his farm equipment was of the finest quality. What he actually meant when he said that he only made $3000 is that he had $3000 that he couldn't somehow tuck into his schedule F as a farm expense. Poor boy.

JimJenson

In another recent post, someone commented about having to charge so much per hour even though I'm a home based business.

Well, since it's that "tax" time of year again, I thought it would be good to share some of the cost/expenses of running a home based business that I have "budgeted" into my overhead and hourly rate.

A large chunk of my overhead is rent/mortgage and the related expenses. Even though I am home based, the business must pay its "fair share". And, since the business occupies nearly 50% of the house, the business must pick up nearly 50% of the mortgage, taxes and related expenses.

The business also pays for its fair share of utilities, electric, gas, water, sewer, trash, alarm monitoring, etc., and pays the full amount for other expenses that I would normally not have if I did not run the business out of the home. Such things as high speed internet, additional phone lines, etc. are all business expenses.

Then there's the cost of maintenance and upkeep of the property and yes, the business must contribute there too. Everything from lawn maintenance and snow removal to a new water heater or roof all are figured into the cost of running my business.

And, just like a retail business, cost of running and maintaining a home based business adds up. There are the usual monthly expenses like sales and advertising, insurance, and general upkeep of equipment. I must also budget for the eventual upgrades, repairs and/or replacement of the equipment and also account for the extra wear and tear on my vehicle(s) because I tend to travel more than I would with a retail location.

Let’s not forget the investment of training and continuing education in the form of travel to meets, seminars and trade shows, magazine and web site subscriptions, dues to trade associations, etc.

What I get paid is somewhat insignificant because I have my CPA determine my “salary”. However, the amount I have budgeted into my overhead is adequate to cover my personal living expenses. In addition to what I budget for my pay, the business needs to provide for my eventual retirement and there is an amount set aside in the budget for my eventual retirement too.

And let’s not forget the "perks" of running the business. Some expenses that were once personal now can be written off as business expenses. For example, as officers of the corporation, the business pays for life insurance for my wife and me - up to a certain amount. Don't take my advice though, I would strongly urge you to consult your CPA to see what you can or can not expense.

And finally, there’s the cost of professional fees. While somewhat insignificant compared to other expenses, my CPA makes sure what I pay in taxes is minimal while retaining as much profit as possible. And, my attorney makes sure the business is protected while allowing every possible resource to collect what I am owed.

The most important thing to remember when starting and running your business is it's your business and it must provide for your wants and needs. And, the best way to do this is to plan. I would strongly recommend starting with your personal budget and grow from there because, if you don’t know your personal needs, how can you build your business to provide for them?

Checkers

Number one red flag for an IRS audit.
Number two in dividend income without payroll. SS/Medicare want their cut.

speedmedia

I thought when you where home based the maximum you could declare from your mortgage was 10%? That is what my accountant has always told me...I could be wrong he also told me I have to write off the $20,000 I put into my shop for necessities (ie offices, bathroom, lighting, electrical etc...)over the course of 33 years which I don't think is rights...

Thanks,
Kurt

mountaingraphic

Anyone here mind helping someone out on forming a business? I have an EIN, Filed for my LLC, and filed the LLC with my county court clerk but I tried speaking with a CPA on the taxation side of things such as equipment deductions, mileage deductions and that was of no help at all.

binki

Bold? if the business occupies 50% of the house, it's not bold, it's accurate.

GREAT POST Checkers!!!

It's also a quick way to get disallowed. Anything more than 10% on a house for biz expenses is over the top. The general rule is the space must be used for exclusive use of the biz. The 50% mark is a little steep. That is all.

You can, however, charge a rent to the business at a fair market rate.

I would also be concerned that salary and expenses are figured out after the tax year is over. Shouldn't that be done before the year is over as the expenses are incurred?

Also, if you sell your house then the % of business use is subject to capital gains tax.

JimJenson

Anyone here mind helping someone out on forming a business? I have an EIN, Filed for my LLC, and filed the LLC with my county court clerk but I tried speaking with a CPA on the taxation side of things such as equipment deductions, mileage deductions and that was of no help at all.

I'd suggest finding another accountant or CPA.

Billct2

Mountain, I'm sure you could find a Kentucky based CPA who would gladly (and easily) handle all the questions and paperwork over the phone/internet. It's a good investment.