• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the dumbest question

megacab

i have ever asked on an internet forum. i searched, hoping someone would save me the emabarassment to no avail.......can you use wrapping vinyl, like 3m 1080 or oracal 970, and apply it wet? if not, why? just curious as to why i have never seen it mentioned. it makes other vinyl go down nice in certain situations, why not with this? thanks and go easy:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Because each of the films you mention has air release adhesive making the use of an application fluid unnecessary.

Garbus

I actually heard someone talk about doing half a wrap wet. But I would emagine, that even without the air release channels, you'd have a hell of a time getting the adhesive to stick in concave and convex curves when wet... (Sorry.. dont know the english term for this... bulges maybe???)

Craig Sjoquist

Wasn't so dumb if don't know why, thats why the forum, sure wish it was around when I started up knows that, even with sign schooling would have really helped and inspired a great deal.
Thanks again Fred for a great forum and a service to the sign industry.

megacab

I actually heard someone talk about doing half a wrap wet. But I would emagine, that even without the air release channels, you'd have a hell of a time getting the adhesive to stick in concave and convex curves when wet... (Sorry.. dont know the english term for this... bulges maybe???)
that was my thought also. but on the big panels, like the trunk and roof, that have almost no complex curves i wonder if those could be done wet and left to dry while you work on another piece. this is for strictly a single color change application where you aren't necessarily having to line panels up to form a design. would app fluid screw up the adhesive?

thanks for the replies guys. and yes, thanks Fred for the forum.:U Rock:

WrapperX

The air release channels give you the repositionability you would need from the wet apply. Plus if you use the wet application then the liquid will sit inside the air release channels and will take FOREVER to dry. Just as a rule of air release vinyls - DON'T WET APPLY. If its not air release vinyl then you can wet apply if you wish.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't so dumb if don't know why, thats why the forum, sure wish it was around when I started up knows that, even with sign schooling would have really helped and inspired a great deal.
Thanks again Fred for a great forum and a service to the sign industry.

:ROFLMAO: if this place had been around when I started, I would've taken up assembling lamps or grouse hunting.......... :tongue:

J

john1

They are made to install virtually bubble free WITHOUT wet application. They really are that easy to work with.

I only wet apply cut vinyl