• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The erection....

Jillbeans

My garage is a pole building that when I moved in had a gravel floor.
After I got married my husband had concrete poured.
He threatened to break it all up and take it with him when I filed for divorce.

Steve G.

Does the kit come with engineering for Permits and the trusses. I might be interested in one of those in the spring. Do you have a link

Here are our local suppliers
http://www.apbuildingsupply.com/Kits1.html
http://www.abmartin.net/

I"ve been involved with numerous kit's just like Zeth's. It certainly is economical if you have some skills, or just want to be the general.

.. And yes you do the floor last. Poured around the Posts, it is a down and dirty variation of Monolithic footing.
We've put heated floors in most of them... that's the Schizzle!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Having build more pole barns that I care to remember, all of which are still standing well as far as I know, I see a number of things you might have done a bit differently...

You should have used 4x6's for your supporting line poles, not 4x4's. Far to easy to bend 4x4's.

You should have used 2x6's for girt rather than 2x4's, especially on the long span between the doors.

I can't tell from the picture but I hope you used pressure treated ground contact 2x6's for the splash. If you didn't, you'll wish you had.

Again I can't tell from the picture but you should bolt the rim joists to the posts with carriage bolts, not nail them. It's the nature of pole buildings to flex even ever so slightly. Eventually this will back any nails out of the rim joists. These are your bearing walls, you need them to stay put.

You don't need two posts on each gable end. All you need is a single 4x4 post at each end. All that member does is hold up the girt. The truss holds up the roof.

S'N'S

Why would anyone build a shed out of wood, we use gal steel for the frame .... least if you cut it too short you can weld it back on. oh.. and no bent nails. :biggrin:

Vinylman

Zeth:
Couple of things that I failed to due when I had my Pole building put up.

You would do well to consider how you are going to heat this space.

If I had thought it out better I would have had insulation {blue board?} put UNDER the concrete slab, AND put in Hot Water FLOOR radiant heat. With a simple Electric boiler you can have constant warm floors with NO cold spots. And the concrete acts like a giant heat sink. GREAT on cold N.J. mornings.

Also make sure you INSULATE the ceilings and exterior walls. I would also recommend BEFORE installing your exterior siding {whatever that is going to be} that you install a Tyvek® type full wrap. It will almost totally prevent wind infiltration.