• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Extreme... What can we do?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Seeing the intelligent thoughts and arguments yesterday was nice. I enjoyed reading people's thoughts and ideas on the subject and seeing views different from my own. There really were some intelligent points of views some of you posted.

BUT...
It's clear there were some people that were beyond extreme in their views, trying desperately to convince the other extremers their view was right. I think most people don't have extreme left or right views, and we all fall somewhere in the middle...yet those "middle" voices were drown out by the bickering of the extreme and put everyone off.

The "middle" see the two extremes as utterly insane, ones that will never be convinced to move from their position.

Question is... what do you do with the extreme ones causing all the noise, arguments and anger? Some folks here are so far in either direction and passionately display their position to the point of drowning out people with reason.

If you're one of those "extremers", and you KNOW who you are... please quiet down your noise and start it in some other thread. I have a feeling you won't be able to help yourself but for the sake of the rest of us, please make a meaningful attempt so silence the thoughts you so desperately think we all need to hear.

WildWestDesigns

Some folks here are so far in either direction and passionately display their position to the point of drowning out people with reason.

Be careful with this sentiment.

Just because a view is more centrist on a subject doesn't mean that it has any more or less validity of the more extreme viewpoints.

I'm by no means saying that an extremist viewpoint was or wasn't correct in a previous thread (or this current one), but just because it's an extreme viewpoint doesn't in of itself mean that it is without reason or that a centrist viewpoint has any more or less validity to it.

I personally think that the current climate is way too divisive on everything (and that would contribute to the above sentiment), unfortunately, that also means that there is a chance that the more correct "extreme" viewpoints on some elements could be ignored, due to the same amount of static present.

Johnny Best

I am sure in 1770 or so the English thought there were people in the colonies with extreme viewpoints. And no one is tearing down their statues now either.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Be careful with this sentiment.

I'm by no means saying that an extremist viewpoint was or wasn't correct in a previous thread (or this current one), but just because it's an extreme viewpoint doesn't in of itself mean that it is without reason or that a centrist viewpoint has any more or less validity to it.

I agree, maybe I misspoke.. Their views are valid to them and maybe don't want to "silence" them. Everyone's view is valid, but to take over the conversation and drown everyone out... UGH

What I would like to see happen, is that if there was another "Healthcare" thread, that we could limit the responses to ONE post per thread. That's it, one shot to say what you want and then that's it.. No responding and posting 10 more times arguing with everyone else, just one shot.

WildWestDesigns

What I would like to see happen, is that if there was another "Healthcare" thread, that we could limit the responses to ONE post per thread. That's it, one shot to say what you want and then that's it.. No responding and posting 10 more times arguing with everyone else, just one shot.

The whole point of a "discussion" is point and counter point. If properly done and everyone has an open mind, there is a much bigger chance of progress being made.

Even if you want to hold a pseudo internet "moot court", there is still point, counter point, rebuttal from 1st party (maybe more and from both parties as well).

I think the problem is that some people subscribe to the "say what I want, because I can and I want to and it pleases me".

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I agree, maybe I misspoke.. Their views are valid to them and maybe don't want to "silence" them. Everyone's view is valid, but to take over the conversation and drown everyone out... UGH

I'm not sure I'm liking this, especially coming from Texas. What you are asking for is a ban on high-capacity replies.
10 rounds or less may not be enough for some here to put up an effective personal defense.
I have several semi-auto go-to snark lines that I rely on daily.
We should think this one over carefully before proceeding.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sooo..... you don't like the two extremes of yesterday and you now don't think we should participate more than once. Therefore, now you are becoming the extremist in your controlling our voices.

Ain't gonna happen. You have people on both sides who are very close to their dreams and wishes. Their wants, well, they don't matter.

Nobody's gonna change nobody's views, no matter how much you shove it down someone else's throat. Just makes them gag more. This country was based upon a two party system with all kinds of counter balances to make sure things run smoothly.... or at least as smooth as possible. Nowadays, you have people who want to change those archaic systems and replace them with something which will benefit some and not others. That defeats the whole thing this country was born out of. People somehow are figuring out what our forefathers really had in mind, which I guess is NOT what we currently have, huh ??

C'mon tex, you can come up with a better topic than this one. Put on your thinking cap and have another go at it. :u rock:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Political internet discussions rarely end on a good note. I'd at least like to see the option to not have a "discussion" but rather read someone's one post opinion... Like pose a question and you get to give one answer. That's it, no rebuttals nothing else..the reader draws his or her own conclusions.

We don't need to take it to the extreme and saying I want to end free speech and all that mess. You wana Heathcare discussion, by all means have it! But I'd be interested to see how a one answer opinion thread would go... I suspect it might read pretty well and civil. I wonder if anyone else would like to see that tried out.

WildWestDesigns

Political internet discussions rarely end on a good note.

And yet, you were the one starting the latest one (the latest one that I'm aware of anyway). And there was no such stipulation to one post and that's in in your original post for the healthcare thread of yours, so the writing on the wall should have been very well spelled out on how that thread was going to end that you started.

I'd at least like to see the option to not have a "discussion" but rather read someone's one post opinion... Like pose a question and you get to give one answer. That's it, no rebuttals nothing else..the reader draws his or her own conclusions.

Eliminating a "discussion" part of the exchange will make it even harder to try to achieve a swaying of the minds (which is a damn site impossible thing now considering how divisive everyone is in today's climate).

It also helps to have a discussion in order for one to see their own flaw in their reasoning and maybe they need to rethink what's going on.

Of course, yet again, it all depends on how open people are and how the discussion is handled.

If people aren't open, it doesn't matter what conditions are set for the "exchange" of ideas, your "whistlin' Dixie".

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And yet, you were the one starting the latest one (the latest one that I'm aware of anyway). And there was no such stipulation to one post and that's in in your original post for the healthcare thread of yours,
And? You want me to travel back in time and add that?

Eliminating a "discussion" part of the exchange will make it even harder to try to achieve a swaying of the minds (which is a damn site impossible thing now considering how divisive everyone is in today's climate).
Lol, this almost NEVER happens anyway

It also helps to have a discussion in order for one to see their own flaw in their reasoning and maybe they need to rethink what's going on.
Again, almost never happens

Of course, yet again, it all depends on how open people are and how the discussion is handled.
We see time and time again how "open" and how a "discussion is handled"... thus my thought and suggestion of trying out a one answer thread.

it doesn't matter what conditions are set for the "exchange" of ideas,
I think my idea would be worth a try. Ya'll don't want to participate or voice your opinion in a one-shot thread, don't do it... go be part of the intellectual thought-sharing ideas of the open-minded political discussion threads that go so beautifully.. I just think there are others out there that are turned off by that mess and want no part of that.

You ever read "letters to the editor" section of the newspaper? It's one or two paragraphs of someone thoughtfully laying out his or her side of a topic (knowing they can't come back and resubmit rebuttals over and over again about the same thing). I enjoy reading the collection of ideas and drawing my own conclusions about those peoples ideas. No back and forth bickering. I'd like to see something like that available for the internet forms.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I've ever given a one word reply, other than..... NO !! Things, and I mean all things need to be discussed and openly. Otherwise, what happens if someone brings up a point you didn't think of or know about ?? Wouldn't you want to discuss it ?? That's not being extreme, but an interested and participating party.

I believe if you would require all the links.... and quotes copied and pasted, be banned from the thread would be a better idea. I'd rather hear people's personal views, rather then what some slanted news reporter or station is saying, by simply pasting bullsh!t in here. Sure, people will copy and paste the report as if they are saying, but it's quite evident when someone does that, as they use grammar, punctuation and words they normally don't use.... dead giveaway. Many here do that, too.

However, the most important thing to take away form these debates, discussions or arguments is to let the argument be and let it behind you when answering regular sign threads. Too many people bring that attitude with them and it carries over into the regular forums and threads. They can't let go. It really surprises me how many people hold a grudge. Not to be confused with remembering how someone treats/treated you or spoke to you, but not to bring your emotions along when outta that atmosphere.

WildWestDesigns

We see time and time again how "open" and how a "discussion is handled"... thus my thought and suggestion of trying out a one answer thread.

Now, I didn't answer the comments that you made above this one as per your one response only directive. Do you think you would have come to a different conclusion if I had responded to those questions or what your line of thinking remained the same? Of course, it's kinda hard to answer that now as you don't know what my response would be to those questions.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Now, I didn't answer the comments that you made above this one as per your one response only directive. Do you think you would have come to a different conclusion if I had responded to those questions or what your line of thinking remained the same? Of course, it's kinda hard to answer that now as you don't know what my response would be to those questions.

My point exactly :(

WildWestDesigns

My point exactly :(

Ok, I'm at a lost as how you think this one response and that's it is a better system? It doesn't allow much room for opinions to change/grow. And if people are closed minding like they are in a more discussion like environment, I can pretty much promise that's what's going to happen here.

Bare in mind, open minded is not the same as open discussion.

I believe if you would require all the links.... and quotes copied and pasted, be banned from the thread would be a better idea.

All of them? I can't speak for everyone, but when I copy and paste things it's so that way the person reading will know exactly what I'm commenting on (agree or disagree or something in between).

I think if we are going to this one post shot and that's it, we are going to be getting a lot of novels going around, because have to try to think of everything that could be mentioned (this is why this one answer and that's it really benefits the last poster in the thread, which would kinda diminish my reason for joining in that discussion (and I'm sure others, even those with bang up good ideas)).

TimToad

Expecting serious, thoughtful responses to any topic started in the Entertainment, Spoofs, Humor, etc. category after starting a thread with this as well as injecting all manner of inflammatory and divisive posts yourself is absolutely ridiculous. You get what you give.

"You want my opinion to start off? I don't really want to share it because it's a waste of time... But since my install got pushed to next week, I have some to waste..."

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See, some people just don't wanna help themselves........ or others. Unless they are are in control or abusing their privileges..... they just aren't happy.

And I thought the toad was your friend. Aw man, that's a shame...................​

rossmosh

People that can discuss and compromise deserve to be part of the discussion. People that can't, should be ignored/left out.

We've allowed too many nutters a voice and they've corrupted the conversation.