• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the honeymoon is over

Vinyldog

first print quality problem with my L310. Printing a two color banner, Yellow and Black, on 13oz Forward banner material. Yellow is fine. Black looks fine while printing but is scrubbing off on backside of banner on the take-up reel. I can easily scratch it off with my fingernail except for one area about 12 inches wide.
Is it simply a heat setting issue? I have it at 210dg which has been working fine on other prints.

It helps to understand that with HP Latex ink chemistry, drying occurs through exposing the ink to heat and airflow. In the Latex 300 series, this happens in the curing zone of the printer.

If the ink is not curing completely, there are a few things that can be done through various mechanisms, but it all drills down to:

1. Increase the temperature of the curing unit - more heat will cure ink faster then less heat. PVC banner vinyl tends to react to excess heat by puckering and deforming.
2. Increase the Pass Count - this gives the curing unit more time to completely dry the ink.
3. Introduce an Inter-Pass Delay - another way to give the curing heater more time to cure the ink.This IPD value is introduced from the printer itself via the control panel.
4. Reduce the volume (amount) of ink - this is done through the media profile in the printer. With the machine you have (Latex 310), you would need an external spectrophotometer and ICC Profile creation software to generate a new ICC Profile.

What is the Pass Count that you are printing at?

If you need to go at 6-pass, I would add an Inter-Pass Delay of about 0.4 second. Otherwise, bump it to 8-pass and you should be good to go.

BK Vinyl

I've had this problem with my L260, same material. I bumped up the curing temp 5 degrees and had no further problems.

Vinyldog

I went to the other profile choice for Forward banner which was 10P-100icc and set the heat to 210dg. I lied before, it was at 205 previously. And got a very nice result. So the honeymoon is over but the sex is still good.
I like your idea of going 8 pass / 100 but honestly, even with a magnifying glass and stopwatch I'm having trouble seeing much difference in the different profiles. Other than this job obviously.