• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Joy and Heartbreak of Keeping Animals

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We had to say goodbye to Sassy the Pug three weeks ago. She was the third pet we raised from infancy to final departure.

The first was Brisbane. She was half Chow and half traveling salesman. She filled our lives with joy from 1990 to 2006.

attachment.php

attachment.php

She was joined by Annie Cat, 1995 to 2013, who was too beautiful for words,

attachment.php

and later by Sassy the Pug, 2005 to 2015, who lived up to her name her entire life.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Each was very special and we remember and miss them everyday.

Still we go on and this past Sunday a new member joined our family. His name is Boston Louie.

attachment.php

So far, we note that Louie is a total bundle of energy, loves to play, is as sweet as we could wish and, oddly enough, likes to jump straight up from all fours in the air twice just before he takes a dump. In three short days he has filled a deep hole in our hearts.

Attachments

• In Boat 5x7.jpg
    In Boat 5x7.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Brix and Sassy01.jpg
    Brix and Sassy01.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Annie in Chair 5x7.jpg
    Annie in Chair 5x7.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Sassy01.jpg
    Sassy01.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Sassy-on-Cutter-Cropped.jpg
    Sassy-on-Cutter-Cropped.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Older Sassy Cropped.jpg
    Older Sassy Cropped.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 104
  • Louie Sitting Pretty Enhanced.jpg
    Louie Sitting Pretty Enhanced.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 107

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sad stuff Fred.
Good to read that you are on the mend with a new member of the family.

wayne k
guam usa

visual800

Sorry to hear but you gave another animal a lifetime of joy. The joy always outweighs heartache.

Marlene

so sorry for your losses. it hurts to lose them but the love shared in those short years is something none of us who love critters would ever trade.

Billct2

you're breaking my heart.....but Boston Louie looks like a great little guy to carry on the love.

danno

Sorry to hear about your loss, Fred. It looks like you have made many 4 legged friends very happy.

klmiller611

I'm so sorry for your loss Fred. But it looks like you've found another creature to fill that big hole in your hearts and life. Pets are with us such a short time, and it hurts so badly to lose them. My present dog, a basset named Bosley is a rescue, his owner surrendered him at age 2, he is now 11, went blind in one eye the beginning of March from glaucoma, and is expected to lose the other one at some point. I only hope he will not suffer.

Best of luck with your newest addition!

Ken

thewvsignguy

Pets add so much to an animal lovers life. Our pug "Hershey" was named after he got into an Easter basket full of candy only ate the chocolate.... it was meant to be.

Now he's a sausage with an over bite, 9 years old and he is showing his age.

Sorry for your loses but Louie looks like he will keep you busy :thumb:

Attachments

• 2013-10-10 20.51.17_resized.jpg
    2013-10-10 20.51.17_resized.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2013-11-30 08.53.19_resized.jpg
    2013-11-30 08.53.19_resized.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20150311_111521_resized_1.jpg
    20150311_111521_resized_1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20150629_150005_resized.jpg
    20150629_150005_resized.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 101

Moze

Precision Sign Services
We have a 12 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier that still acts like a puppy but is losing feeling in his rear legs (nerve damage). Projected to be paralyzed in both legs within 6-12 months. The vet said due to quality of life, most are then euthanized. He's survived three cancerous tumors so far. I'm not putting him down simply because his legs are failing him. We'll likely get him a wheeled harness.

Pets add so much to an animal lovers life. Our pug "Hershey" was named after he got into an Easter basket full of candy only ate the chocolate.... it was meant to be.

Now he's a sausage with an over bite, 9 years old and he is showing his age.

Sorry for your loses but Louie looks like he will keep you busy :thumb:

Yikes, chocolate is toxic to dogs (theobromine, specifically). Surprised he survived that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear of this, Fred. Since I joined here, all I ever heard about was Sassy..... and in so many ways.

Pets are so amazing and in so many ways.

Your new friend looks like he'll be a challenge. Anyone or thing that can jump in the air before taking a dump, must have some real muscle power. At my age, I usually hafta run, not jump. I also thought while reading, you were gonna say he filled a deep hole in your backyard within three days with this new approach.

Fred, your family and mirad of pets were all lucky to share your lives together. Looks like Boston Louie will fit in just nicely. :Welcome: to :signs101:

GypsyGraphics

oh Fred, i'm so sorry to hear Sassy passed, she was so sweet. i felt like i was hanging out with S101 mascote when i got to meet her.
i'd taken some great pics of Sassy, but my phone went for a dip shortly after returning from Florida and i lost everything.

i'm so glad i had the chance to meet her.... and that you and Connie were able to open your hearts and home again to another bundle of joy. Louie is adorable!

skyhigh

Sorry to hear about Sassy Fred!!!
I enjoyed the pictures.....especially the one of Sassy tugging on Brisbane's leash. Size doesn't seem to matter in their world.
LOL....too funny.

Good luck with Louie. Between the energy level, and that look in his eye (I'm the boss look). you two will have lots of fun.

He's a good looking pup.

ps. your guys are lucky to have you!!! They get to go boating and swimming. Lucky dogs :rolleyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I enjoyed the pictures.....especially the one of Sassy tugging on Brisbane's leash. Size doesn't seem to matter in their world.
LOL....too funny.

Brisbane was a very easy going dog who nurtured both Sassy and Annie Cat. There was a wonderful moment when Annie was nursing the one litter of kittens we allowed her to have. Brisbane came up to her basket and looked at Annie with a question in her eyes and Annie looked back with a look of yes in her eyes. Brisbane then proceeded to lick each kitten while Annie looked on.

ps. your guys are lucky to have you!!! They get to go boating and swimming. Lucky dogs :rolleyes:

Twenty years ago we moved out to Washington State and bought a house on a lake. The sellers had left us a paddle boat which I decided to take for a spin. It was late December and the water temperature was down in the 50s. I got about 100 yards out when I heard the Mrs. yelling my name. I turned around and there was Brisbane swimming behind me. She loved the water. Later, we got a SeaDoo and Brisbane would join me for rides that approached 60 mph.