• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Local Competition

cfbeagle

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can't seem to sell many signs in one small town near me. Well today I went to the grocery store and while I was in the parking lot I finally figured out why.

I just can't hang with the competition!!!:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated: Have a :corndog:!

competition.jpg

:iamwithstupid
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

John L

Yup, one of my service guys snapped this shot the other day.

I'm not gonna knock em. I didnt start out with all the fancy stuff. It's been many years, but it's true.. I've been there.

What's really bad is that these guys are likely doing it like this because what they charged the customer doesn't allow them to use more adequate equipment. The fact is, when I am more at risk, I charge more. If it cost a thousand to install with a truck, some cones, barrier tape, hard hat, and a harness... well I think I am gonna ask at least double to try my luck with one of those Little Giant ladders (or any other "as seen on TV" sign erecting equipment).

I just noticed, in both of our examples the customer is a pizza jawnt and the crew arrived in a minivan.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

cartoad

I think I will fire my contractor I sub out installs and electrical work to and hire those guys, looks like I could save a ton of money!! On second thought I like sleeping at night and will keep my fully licensed, insured, bonded, trained, equiped installation contractor!
Though I too get tired of losing jobs to 3rd rate operations.

andy

Don't get what?

Installation is just like any other aspect of the sign industry... it's a task which needs to be accomplished safely and in a professional manner.

What does it say about a company that can't even afford a van, has no tools, barely any access equipment, no PPE and a zero effort safety policy?

When you call the fire brigade you expect a fully equipped fire engine to arrive.... a bloke in a minibus with a plastic bucket wouldn't fill you with any confidence.... same applies to installing signs.

If you want to install signs professionally you NEED to spend the money on the right vehicles and all the tools and equipment needed. Yes this costs quite a lot of money but that's why proper installations cost money to carry out.

Ask yourself this question... would you spend 10 grand with either of these sign shops knowing how amateurish their installation procedures are?

Craig Sjoquist

scaffold's is so cheap to rent or buy ... ladders just don't get it installing plastic panels

WHY... wind
try holding one as small as a 4x4 with the least bit of wind even ...now you got to trust that ladder from not moving while you are holding a SAIL

even with scaffold's you are limited to a 4x8 by yourself with some wind..any bigger more help .. and it's still scary
yes a bucket is easy with panel clamps (vise grips with right angles welded on & rubber pads)

Malkin

Anything that isn't quickly and safely done with a ladder will get subbed to another local company with proper bucket trucks. I would rather do that anyway and stay in the shop making more signs. :thumb:

Pat Whatley

I don't get it either. So they installed it from ladders, what's the problem? We installed a 4'x8' wall mounted cabinet two weeks ago from a couple of extension ladders and never even considered renting a lift or subcontracting to somebody with a bucket truck.

And damn, they don't have a wrapped company van so they suck?

Ridiculous.

sjm

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can't seem to sell many signs in one small town near me. Well today I went to the grocery store and while I was in the parking lot I finally figured out why.

I just can't hang with the competition!!!:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated: Have a :corndog:!

View attachment 49923

:iamwithstupid
[/FONT]

Think you bitch too much. Maybe you should look at writing a book. Competition for Dummies?

andy

I don't get it either. So they installed it from ladders, what's the problem? We installed a 4'x8' wall mounted cabinet two weeks ago from a couple of extension ladders and never even considered renting a lift or subcontracting to somebody with a bucket truck.

And damn, they don't have a wrapped company van so they suck?

Ridiculous.

It's easy.....

The installers on the photos posted look like pikeys or hillbillies. If someone was charging me decent money for a sign I'm going to think "what the f*ck" when a couple of scruffy blokes fall out of a 1983 minibus and proceed to nail my expensive new sign onto the wall whilst perched on a pair of ancient ladders.

This is an image business.... if you are trying to encourage customers to buy products from you which are designed to improve their image you really need to make sure your own corporate image is sorted... otherwise all your fine words are undone when billy bob and cleetus arrive to carry out the "professional" installation.

A decent van ain't exactly expensive and proper installation gear takes one off investment.

1leonchen

lucky for me my cousin has a boom service i get the boom for free. it only goes 25 feet one person any thing higher i rent a sky lift. but i have done jobs with 40 feet ladders. i also own 4 pairs of scaffolding you migh want to invest in those. i got a pair plus ties for 50 bucks.

Pro Image

It's easy.....

The installers on the photos posted look like pikeys or hillbillies. If someone was charging me decent money for a sign I'm going to think "what the f*ck" when a couple of scruffy blokes fall out of a 1983 minibus and proceed to nail my expensive new sign onto the wall whilst perched on a pair of ancient ladders.

So Andy.......whats your problem with HILLBILLIES.........

My stand is if the job gets done right and its meets with the code.....What the Hell does it matter what they look like or WTF they drive.......I've worked of of 32ft ladders and scaffold over 45ft in the air......Does that mean Im not doing it right........Ive also gone to a service call on my 150 scooter......and yes my ladders are new but if it gets the job done then WHO THE HECK CARES.......besides you......that is.......:doh:

cfbeagle

Well... I am not saying you have to have $100,000 worth of equipment to put signs. I don't either, but man these folks were installing that sign using hose clamps, and the main structural crossbar that you see above the sign was an 8 foot long piece of galvanized electrical conduit. Tell me how long that sign is going to hang there in a 30 or 40 mph wind.

I don't have my scruffy momma sitting there smokin in the minivan shouting orders up to me on the ladder either. I just sat over there in the parking lot awhile and watched... There wasn't one thing about the whole process that inspired any confidence in the at all!

I can promise you they where doing that install for less then half price of what I could do it for still thought they were making out like a bandit.

You can stick up for em all you want but it still p@sses me off. I don't mind competition as long is its legitimate cause I can compete with that, but I can't compete with some jake leg in a minivan doing half a$$ed work.

When it hits the ground next week they might call me but I doubt it. They will leave it hanging crooked and I will have to look at for the next year.

cfbeagle

So cf, let's see your state of the art installation gear.

I don't own anything fancy, I just have friend that is a contractor and he rents me a 45 foot Genie boom lift whenever I need it for $150 a day. I can't own anything that cheap because most of my work is shop work and not installations.

I just build an extra $150 into the price of the install and forget it. If that $150 causes you to lose the job then you sure can't afford to own a 20,000 truck to do it with.

CentralSigns

You had mentioned the quality of the work. That kind of stuff happens all the time where I live. The best part is when the haywire breaks. Then they come to the professional to have it redone the right way. And enjoy the sign for many years to come. But I still use ladders and come-a-longs to lift some stuff.