• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The NEW paints.....aaarrrrgggh!

soundhound

The guy at my local Benj Moore dealer talks a mile-a-minute about how great all these new paints are, and how the world of high-finance is backing Moore over all others, and it all sounds like a load of BS to me.

All I want is a decent paint to put on MDO, and I guess if I have to pay $50 a gallon, well that's just too bad.

Actually I do not paint boards that often anymore (do any of us?)... but when I do I am looking for something that will hold up reasonably well and to which IP Vinyl will adhere for 5+ years.

The Benj Moore guy is so excited about "Coronado" paints, and wants me to use rust skat over some soon-to-be-discontinued primer... both about 50 a gallon. I am trying to get a deep olive green, but I don't really need that much gloss... but I do need vinyl to stick!

Is there such a thing anymore as a "meat & potatoes" paint for MDO?

rjssigns

Oil base high gloss tractor enamel from Fleet Farm. If you aren't near a Fleet Farm get some Rustoleum oil base enamel. Used this stuff for years with no issues.
Stuff is cheap as chips too.

soundhound

Thanks--- what about a primer?

OK--- Rustoleum is what I will use!

The current job is a dark olive color, so I really need a tinted primer for the MDO.

Any recommendations, or do y'all just thin out the rustoleum?

weaselboogie

Yeah, what is going on? I've been using Sherwin Williams paint and withing the past couple of years they're doing something different. Vinyl does not stick.

Marlene

Is there such a thing anymore as a "meat & potatoes" paint for MDO?

do you mean cheap paint? $50 bucks a gallon sounds about right if not more for good paint. been using Beni Moore for years with great results so not sure what you are looking for. maybe Walmart or K-Mart for cheap stuff?

signage

Yeah, what is going on? I've been using Sherwin Williams paint and withing the past couple of years they're doing something different. Vinyl does not stick.

Weasel which Sherwin-Williams paint are you talking about?
The commercial grade DTM?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Still using Ronan and 1-Shot without any problems..... and that's MDO or sandblasted/carved signs. Most signs are lasting between 12 and 15 years without any problem. If the signs are gilded, we recommend letting us refurbish them a few years. It's the substrates that we use digital inks which aren't lasting worth a sh!t these days.... even with laminate.

weaselboogie

I've got a 2 year old sign that I need to go back and repaint the edges sometime this month. Painted with 1 shot, the top edge is cracking like its 10 years old.

AUTO-FX

Some manufacturers include additives designed to repel dirt. Additives for dirt/water repellence, mildew, adhesion, rust inhibitors, UV blocking, blah blah blah.
Also one of the reasons paint prices are up.

soundhound

anything with low voc that works with vinyl?

What i am hearing is that (most) everyone is still using paints as similar as possible to what we used to use... OIL BASED ENAMEL.

These are being replaced with latex paints (somebody mentioned Valspar) but suddenly I am seeing lifting vinyl everywhere!

Do the SW Industrial Enamels still gloss-up and hold vinyl?

Somebody mentioned how happy they are with Benjamin Moore.
WHAT PRODUCT(s)? Any latexes in the mix?

What we need is some standard we can all rely on!

visual800

U have rolled on satin and semi gloss paint with a foam roller and then applied vinyl and it worked. no issues. you have got to roll it smooth though

i get all rollers from here and pay the manufacturer, awesome products and very cheap
http://www.jenmfg.com/

prime the mdo with flat latex and them roll with satin or semigloss you do NOT NEED HIGH GLOSS for vinyl to stick to latex. All we use is benjamin moore and glidden none of the high priced junk from over the ocean or any "superpaints" everyone is raving over. Rust Skat is great paint for wall murals outside but it is extremely high gloss and will not look great on MDO