• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The order in which the printer cuts

sfr table hockey

Using Production Manager (set up the file in Illustrator) I want to do some cut lettering that will be approx 100" long. It's a web site address that they want to apply to some trucks for a promo. The letters are only 10" tall so on 54" wide media I can make 4 row (or copies) at a time.

Now when this goes to cut it will cut each (web add.) out, the whole 100 inch before it feeds back to the start to cut the 2nd copy. Is there any way that you can set something, either in Illustrator or Production Manager so that it would cut the first letter on all 4 copies before going to the next letter and so on? I don't know if there is a term for this.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
it's the stack order..... ungroup all then send to front/back as you want it

I cannot remember the order though. Easy enough to test with a few half inch letters to make sure of the ordering

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Under the advanced tab in the cut/plot window check the
optimize cutting order check box - this should do it.

wayne k
guam usa

from the help file:

Optimize
cutting order
When this option is not selected, the objects are cut or plot in
the order they were created. When selected, the software
processes the objects within the specified section of length
before moving to the next section.

royster13

Most cut programs have a sort cut order function....If not you can do it manually in Illustrator by rearranging the objects using layers panel....

sfr table hockey

Thanks guys, I am going to try both ways just so if I need to design in Illustrator I can remember for next time.

And Wayne, thanks for the info on the advanced tab. I never use the main flexi program much and never for just cut files. In production Manager there is no advanced tab to click on but in Flexi it's there. Next step is to just redo the file in flexi and use that feature to cut in the order I want. That may save a bit of issues down the road as there have been a few files I have set up in Illustrator and the cuts went all over back and forth and eventually got the job done but it looked wacked as it was doing it's hit and miss cut pattern.

I will try in the AM.

Thanks again.