• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The perfect hem

DerbyCitySignGuy

Your other option is buying something like a Leister HEMTEK. It's always good to know how to tape a banner though.

Last edited:

Brandon708

For hemming banners with tape I start in the middle of the banner and work outwards. Then hit it with a roller.
I am going to put my Royal Sovereign rbw-1500 banner welder up for sale soon. I wasn't sure if you wanted to start welding them instead of using banner tape.

ikarasu

I'm in the middle of doing 30 4x8 banners, so I feel you.

I use onyx, the banner is setup to size... I then bleed it out 1" in onyx, Then apply "Sew lines" at 0", and 1" all around. Set it up as a quick set.... then any size banner is automatically setup. I trim to the outer sew line... Put down some banner tape, then use the inner sew line as my fold point. You can start from the end, or from the middle and fold outwords. Thats the fastest way I've found to do it... it of course leaves sew lines on the back, which some customers may not like... but it's banner, no ones ever complained.

The most accurate way... was to bleed it 1", cut it out... then use a 1" flatbed to crease it / pre fold, then put some tape on... and re-fold it. Takes longer, but then theres no sew line on the back. 99% of the banners I do it the onyx way... if it's a banner that'll be hanging in a school all year, I usually do it the other way so it looks better.

ams

Hemming by hand is easy and within about 95% accurate. Make sure you either have a full bleed or print a tiny outline and cut 1" hem and hem it to that line. Super quick and simple.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Apply the tape and prefold before removing liner.
Yes, this....and we keep old worn out squeegees on hand and use one to run around the entire banner, as well as a J roller. One more thing....roll the banners IMAGE OUT and the hems will not buckle.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use a 2" plastic wallpaper roller to press the edges down to the tape.. was a lot easier then squeege. I make two passes, first one without heat to get it stuck, then second time with heat.

Of course now I just order them all from 365 so it's rare I do this in house anymore.