• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Printer on Tonight's Shark Tank….

GypsyGraphics

nice work jsmoritz!!! i suppose no creative field escapes copyright infringement.

It's just a modified direct to garment printer . . . big deal ?
It was cool though, but the thing he did wrong was trying to run the business, instead of selling the machines to the industry!!!!!
this may have seemed new to the sharks and the general public... but he's a little late to be new to the industry.
i think this guy's lucky to have found his little niche on Venice Beach.

binki

It's just a modified direct to garment printer . . . big deal ?

It was cool though, but the thing he did wrong was trying to run the business, instead of selling the machines to the industry !!!!!

It is a brother printer. Unless he becomes a distributor he can't sell them.

binki

Just watched this. He did $570K selling sneakers at $100 a pop.

The printer is a Brother 782 and prints dark and light textiles on 2 platens at the same time.

He made a shoe platen and software templates to go with it so he does have something there but from what I saw he represented that he was the only one who had the printer or at least let the sharks think that.

He does have a good product selling a $28 shoe for $100 though so gotta give him that much. He should sell or lease his templates though, more money for him without the work of opening another shop.

Last edited:

signswi

I'm with Watson, am I missing a growing market segment?

Are advertising now paying people to brand there shoes? I've heard of mortgage companies allowing a tenant to wrap their house to pay the mortgage. So who knows!

Yes it's a market, no the market isn't advertising, if you aren't already aware of the market you probably wouldn't be able to service it very well. It's been on my horizon for ten years but not something I'd dip my toes into, forgive the pun.

I did know a kid in design school that was into this sort of thing and he made bank even in school doing freelance shoe design and design for prosthetics.

ForgeInc

Yes it's a market, no the market isn't advertising, if you aren't already aware of the market you probably wouldn't be able to service it very well. It's been on my horizon for ten years but not something I'd dip my toes into, forgive the pun.

I did know a kid in design school that was into this sort of thing and he made bank even in school doing freelance shoe design and design for prosthetics.

This.

There is HUGE market for footwear and apparel customization. Nike was probably one of the first with Nike iD about 10-12 years ago, now it's a huge part of their business and many others have similar models, some offering even more levels of customization than simply color or initials/#'s.

The problem I see with it is speed, and most likely the only reason it hasn't already been applied on a mss scale.