Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The solvent printer I outsource is entertaining the thought of selling.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by VinylLabs.com, Apr 28, 2011.

  1. VinylLabs.com

    VinylLabs.com Member

    Mar 2, 2005
    First and foremost I'd like to mention that I've been doing die-cut for a while, and only recently (few months) purchased my first actual printer (hp5500uv) I also have a full time job, but I honestly think I'm staying in it because I'm a little scared of making the jump into full-time signage.

    That being said, the printer I outsource all my cut-print and solvent printing is thinking about closing up and offered to sell me his equipment. He told me 15000$ CDN for the lot. He included:

    1. 54" Roland versacamm
    2. 54" cold laminator (said he got it for 2500$, so I doubt its a good one)
    3. computer that runs the RIP software
    4. all his banner and vinyl and laminate material.

    I was originally thinking about saving up for a Summa DC4, but I have some friends in the industry telling me not to simply because "we don't know anyone running one" which I don't think is a valid argument but then they mention the fact that here in Montreal servicing it would be a pain, along with the ribbons.

    Is a used Roland and material worth the 15 000? I understand that there will be other factors in the decision, including factors none of you can supply (such as whether or not I am ready to leave my job, and location) but maybe someone can suggest what I need to look at, does the roland log the liters consumed by the heads? can I tell the usage of the machine? then maybe I can update this post with those details.

    If you're willing to share your thoughts on the subject I'd be very grateful for your time and insight.
  2. Gino

    Gino Premium Subscriber

    Jun 7, 2006
    It's not a bad price, but possibly a little steep according to how old and what condition the printer is really in. The laminator might be worth that, but again, it depends if its a good one or not. We got ours from a guy going out years ago for a steal. The media.... depends again on what condition it's in.

    If you were doing this full time, I'd say go for it, you'll probably get your money back in a month or two. Since you're part-time, it could take you a year or two. I have no idea what you're really capable of, so try bargaining with the guy and make him a counter offer. Sometimes people will give their highest bid knowing they're going to have to go down a little.

    You have to be prepared to walk away if you don;t get your price.

    Whatever you do, I'd strike quickly and be reasonable with the guy.... before he finds a total newbie that takes it just for the sake of taking it.

Share This Page