• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The top 5 reasons NOT to start a sign shop

Jillbeans

Well said.
I would add a #6
Don't go into the sign business just because you want to be your own boss. You'll learn that every client you land will want to be the boss. It's frustrating too, because we are taught that the customer is always right. But you don't want to listen to them when they try to force you to make something that can hurt your reputation...whether it's a knock-off Harley logo sign, re-using faded lexan panels, or just a bad design in general.

You have to find a good balance between knowing and doing the right thing as opposed to sounding like a know-it-all. I try not to educate the customer until I get a deposit. And every customer will not be a good one. But every once in awhile, you will get a golden client who is willing to pay you a fair wage as well as let you be the boss.

Z SIGNS

Reason # 7

Trying to earn a living producing products who's prices have been driven to the bottom like we have in the sign industry is dumb.

OldPaint

Reason # 7

Trying to earn a living producing products who's prices have been driven to the bottom like we have in the sign industry is dumb.
ADD TO THAT........ IF......... THE NEW people had some intrinsic "talent" to go along with the "stupid money" they spend to get into this.........THEY WOULD HAVE more sense ......... then to GIVE WORK AWAY.......that took time and talent!!!!!!

Craig Sjoquist

I read that as useless babble, any type of job that you take on yourself has all of the same, hard work, long hours, separation, cash flow etc.

But i did like Z Signs #7 reason, cause when vinyl & PCs came to town everybody thought they were a sign shop & still do & unknown customers think the cheapest is best, so ya combine those 5 reasons.

Would I or anyone else for that matter knowing what ya got yourself into start a sign shop ? ...Darn right & still be hand painting

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While it's a good read and funny, I find it funnier that all around that little read are all these advertisements for FREE stuff to get into the sign industry. It almost seems senseless to tell people why not to do something, then show them how easy it is, anyway.

Craig's correct, you could literally substitute any type of business........ or even life in general.

Well written and thought outfor anyone...... anything. :thumb:

1leonchen

all of the above is true. but i still opening my shop. its the love of making signs. i am in it for the long haul.:signs101:

premiercolour

Merchant Member
As many of you folks know we are a sign supply company here in S. California. Came across one ink customer wanted us to print because his machine is down. 60" x 20' , 14 of them hemmed and grommeted. Since we have a XR in house. Why not. Time is crank it up. Quoted $3.00. He said, how about $1.00. I said we cannot do that. He said it is alright. He understands. He had someone else done for him, sewed and groometedd for $0.89 sq/ft. Asked about 3 other sign guys would they do it for $1.00? "Bring it, we will do it", "Sure", "I can do it". Rule #8, try to compete with $1.00 sign guy in LA. Good luck.

:banghead:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
It's just a play on words to grab attention. If course the author wants you to start a sign shop. You could replace "The top 5 reasons NOT to start a sign shop" with "The "5 things you need to know when starting a sign shop"

premiercolour

Merchant Member
You're comparing apples to oranges in a sense.... because the companies that are charging $1.00 / sqft finished won't be using a 64" solvent printer. UV ink costs are quite a bit lower so their (still ridiculously low) margin would be slightly better than yours based on printing on a solvent printer. I would also think that their buying power would allow them to get banner stock for cheaper than most but I'm sure you know how that works being a supplier and all........

But I do get what you're saying. That pricing is crazy.

$1.00 per sq ft is for 64" Mutoh/Roland/Mimaki printers. $0.49 is for grand format printers.

thesignexpert

I agree.....I find the whole thing a little ironic.

Although I do appreciate what you're doing, and all the valuable info on your website.... seems to me the information is conflicting.

Considering the main idea behind the site seems to be encouraging everyone and their dog to open up a sign shop....

I dunno.

Perhaps the irony is simply in seeing this from a different perspective? From the very first page I try to be clear with our visitors that the sign industry is not for the faint-hearted nor is it for those looking to make an easy buck. I feel I have been pretty consistent on this point throughout the site. The basic premise of TheSignExpert is just to help those who actually do decide to make the plunge, provide them with useful tools, point out some of the pitfalls, hopefully encourage them along the way and, in this last article, provide some heartfelt warning for those considering taking the plunge.

Yes, it is fairly generic because I am speaking to all sorts of folks. We get eyeballs from the one-man garage shop all the up to multi-location corporate "C" position readers... its all good :) It was intended to be a wide message from the sign industry's point of view. No more, no less.

When I was a kid, I watched my own father struggle on a daily basis to run his own shop. He started when he was 16 and went through the traditional apprenticeship system when he was still in High School. I was about 5 when he put out his own shingle and I grew up witnessing the various trials & tribulations that I know you guys are all very familiar with. The other shops back then were very tight with providing any information, training, tips or help so he slugged it out with books & classes the best he could. He spent time & money on tax seminars. He went to the local college to learn more about accounting and business... you know how it goes. TheSignExpert.com is not intended to bring in a bunch of hacks but rather is a way to help folks like my dad who really want to make an honest go of it.

So far, the article has seemed to resonate with a number of people. I hope it continues to help.

Billct2

It's ironic that two of the currently most celebrated and widely read "sign makers" aren't really in the sign business, the two Dans, Dan Antonelli and Dan Sawatzky. I like to read Rick Williams in Sign & Digital Graphics Mag, he actually runs a small commercial sign business successfully.

TimToad

Well said.
I would add a #6
Don't go into the sign business just because you want to be your own boss. You'll learn that every client you land will want to be the boss. It's frustrating too, because we are taught that the customer is always right. But you don't want to listen to them when they try to force you to make something that can hurt your reputation...whether it's a knock-off Harley logo sign, re-using faded lexan panels, or just a bad design in general.

You have to find a good balance between knowing and doing the right thing as opposed to sounding like a know-it-all. I try not to educate the customer until I get a deposit. And every customer will not be a good one. But every once in awhile, you will get a golden client who is willing to pay you a fair wage as well as let you be the boss.

I just had a customer come in wanting a quote for us doing a partial wrap on her SMARTcar. After asking her about artwork, she got to the part about her "niece" doing the design for it, I had to turn away so she didn't see me roll my eyes. It was the same day I first read this thread.

Marlene

It's ironic that two of the currently most celebrated and widely read "sign makers" aren't really in the sign business, the two Dans, Dan Antonelli and Dan Sawatzky. I like to read Rick Williams in Sign & Digital Graphics Mag, he actually runs a small commercial sign business successfully.

I like to read what Rick writes too.