• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The USSC show, the day after.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Well, I made it the USSC show on Friday. This is all my opinion, and if you went, lets hear what you thought.

I made it to both of Joe Diaz's classes, Custom lettering effects and create and sell logos. The classes were well thought out, and I liked the open forum environment (if you had a question, ask, and he did answer many questions). I wish I could have stuck around on Saturday to go to his Wrap Design class, but I had to get back.

I also picked up Dan Antonelli's new book, so I'm ready to get into it. Perhaps later this afternoon, I will sit down and start reading.

I also caught up with several vendors that I currently use, and met several that I am looking forward to hopefully a new relationship with. Lots of LED displays and printers on the floor, so it was very visual.

I spent several hours in the Bull Pen. I would have to say, this was my favorite part. I caught the panel jam, and those guys were doing some really beautiful work. The car lettering was awesome to watch, as well. I spent at least an hour watching and talking with Francis Lestingi of Signs of Gold. I learned so much about working with gold leaf, and in all honesty, I wish I were younger and closer, because I would have loved to apprentice from him. He is truly a master, and a great guy.

Up until the show, I was beginning to burn out, but now I have a renewed energy, and can't wait to start putting to practice some of the things that I saw and learned.

Dan Antonelli

Thanks for picking up the book! Hope you enjoy it.

The bullpen was fun, and saw a lot of old friends. Even picked up a lettering a quill and did some work on one of the charity signs. Man it was nice to mix some 1-Shot and thinner. Been sooo long!

For me, the show is a bit sad to see how small it is. The first one I went to was in mid 90s and it 5x the size, and you'd need hours to walk through. Every year seems to be much smaller. Guess there's too much competition and the vendors can only pick and choose a few shows to participate in.

I heard from many that Joe Diaz, who I got to hang out with a bit, did an amazing job in his classes, as well as Ray Chapman.

NateF

I made it down for Thursday and Friday. I think I stood around drooling for a couple hours in the bullpen. There was some unbelievable talent on display there. It's sad that the handpainted stuff is becoming somewhat of a lost art.

I also finally pulled the trigger on purchasing a VS-540i since I was able to pick up a good deal on one of the demo models. I'm excited at the prospect of having that installed in the next week or two! The whole show was definitely educational for me!

VTG

I walked through the show yesterday ... and I agree, the Bullpen was very cool.

I also stopped by to meet Dan Antonelli and we spoke for quite a while ... thanks again Dan, hope I didn't overstay my welcome (in your booth).

I also picked up Dan Antonelli's new book, so I'm ready to get into it. Perhaps later this afternoon, I will sit down and start reading.

I think you'll really enjoy Dan's new book ... I read it last week and had a difficult time putting it down. It's very well written, easy to read, and it's full of beautiful images of Dan's work (I guess I should say Dan and his talented staff's work). At any rate, if you don't already have a strong appreciation for the importance of your client's logo with respect to proper branding and how it can impact your client's business ... you will after you finish his book. A great resource for any designer or sign shop who wants to turn it up a notch.

Z SIGNS

I made it down Thursday.What a different show compared to the early 90's and a big reminder of how much the industry has changed.Used to be more fun back then.When you went you always saw something new and there was a lot of big vendors like 3m. Now it's just printers.
Little disappointed that I did not win the printer at the Beacon Graphic booth.
Beer bash was fun.

signcrafters

Didn't make it to the show this year due to a death in the family- first time I missed in over 10 years.

I will say, and I hope suppliers are reading...

I go to the show to find new vendors.
Over the last year, I have done several THOUSANDS of dollars with new suppliers that I found at Sign World.
I will be back next year and I will find new suppliers and new products to offer.
If you are a supplier, I am more likely to do business with you if I meet you at the show.

I want to do business with suppliers that support the industry.
If we all took this approach, the show will grow.

See you all next year!

rjpjr

I made it to both of Joe Diaz's classes, Custom lettering effects and create and sell logos. The classes were well thought out, and I liked the open forum environment (if you had a question, ask, and he did answer many questions).
I sat in for both of these classes as well and his presentations were top notch.
I picked up his new book also and I am very eager to find the time to dig in.

... lets hear what you thought.
Besides the two instances listed above, a little time observing the Bullpen and Ray Chapman's seminars, I was VERY Disappointed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see this thread or I would've put my 2¢ in here, instead.

I have no idea of how the seminars went, but I'm sure they were top notch as always.

The show itself was a total disappointment for many reasons, but one of the best things is..... afterwards, I stopped at the White House and picked up a bunch of 'White House Specials' for myself and brought some back for the guys. They're a few blocks away from the Convention Center and a serious 'Must Do' place when in Atlantic City. The place is famous for their stuff.

rjpjr

..... afterwards, I stopped at the White House and picked up a bunch of 'White House Specials' for myself and brought some back for the guys. They're a few blocks away from the Convention Center and a serious 'Must Do' place when in Atlantic City. The place is famous for their stuff.
Upon recommendation, my wife and I went to the White House as well and split a full sized Cheese-Steak sandwich.
It was HUGE and TASTY and a little pricey...$17 plus.
That place was one of the highlights of the trip.:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Upon recommendation, my wife and I went to the White House as well and split a full sized Cheese-Steak sandwich.
It was HUGE and TASTY and
a little pricey...$17 plus.
That place was one of the highlights of the trip
.:thumb:

Yeah, I know..... bringing everyone back a large was almost $90.00. :munchie: