• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The wall from hell. Save me

Flame

latex paint is rubbery, flexible, oil is chippy and flaky in case you ever have to wonder. If the walls are gloss oil I would coat with kilz oil based primer, yep the good old nasty stuff thats thin as water and stinks. wait a day and THEN paint what ever you want on top of that. I would suggest eggshell as your prints will stick to that and posiibly be removed with minimal damage later

If paint wont stick neither will decals, sir.

Precisely what I'll be doing today! :rock-n-roll:

John in Cali

Check with Bullseye 123. Water based primer, pretty sure it will adhere to oil base, and dries in an hour with much less smell.

Flame

use 3m ij180 thatstuff sticks to everything. I haver done a few wall murals and never had a problem.

Um...180 isn't that tacky at all. And plus I try not to use 3M products, haven't for almost 3 years now and now more than ever.

Laid down some Kilz today, will get you guys pics once everythings painted and wrapped :thumb:

Farmboy

I was considering wrapping our new showroom. Decided to go with more of a retail look and putting up about 50' of slat wall.

mopar691

I had the same problem with a customer. My wall was very textured so that just made it worse. Ended up scuffing and priming everything to get anything to adhere along with a lot of heat.

Attachments

• salon.jpg
    salon.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 62

Hummer2010

Put a small amount of denatured alcohol on a cotton ball or soft cloth. Rub the cloth over a small area of paint. If the paint comes off onto the cotton or cloth, or if the surface of the paint becomes tacky, it is latex. If no paint appears on the cloth and the surface of the paint remains unchanged, it is oil based.

Hope that this helps...

Salmoneye

You can use water based gripper from Glidden (also sold at home depot) over oil or water and it bonds well. No need to use Kilz or Zinzer. And I don't know what the post was about earlier but Latex absolutely comes in gloss finishes.

skyhigh

typing without thinking....i knew that
More like oil doesnt come in flat.

Stil odd to me when anyone paints an interior with a gloss. First thing i would wonder if it was oil.

Better?

skyhigh

really?
Sherwin Williams doesnt have it. Never used to anyways. In the past ive had to buy a flattening agent to add.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
my guess was that the previous owner had wiped down the entire room with a silicon spray like you use on you tires or something goofy like that.