• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

There goes another supplier selling to my customers.

Colin

But should they be selling it to non-commercial people at the same prices? That's what boils my butt. There's a reason I can't go and buy a hot water tank at the same price as a plumber.

WildWestDesigns

But should they be selling it to non-commercial people at the same prices? That's what boils my butt. There's a reason I can't go and buy a hot water tank at the same price as a plumber.

But you can, you just have to know where to look.

Since you aren't commercial, you may or should have to pay taxes on it though.

Also bare in mind very few plumbers buy a lot of hot water tanks and keep them on hand, they usually just buy one or two at a time, at least the ones around here, so i wouldn't even call them commercial either. They would have to be a big outfit.

Colin

I guess my point is that my materials supplier should not be selling coroplast (or any other material) to the public at the same prices. Charge 'em double.

WildWestDesigns

I guess my point is that my materials supplier should not be selling coroplast (or any other material) to the public at the same prices. Charge 'em double.

What can the general public do with just coroplast? I don't mess with it, so i don't know.

Now shirts on the other hand, i can agree with you on as I deal with that aspect, but then again not a lot of them can do the added value to shirts like i can after they get it. They being the general public.

However, I can also see the wholesalers point as well. Don't think I am agreeing with it, but I can see it.

knifemaker3

One thing that we may all be missing here is that if the vendors don't sell to the general public as well they may not be able to stay in business. If so, where would we be if all our vendors go out of business?

Don't get me wrong, I agree professional sign businesses should get a better price. Just saying we might not be grasping the whole picture here.

artbot

are we complaining about free enterprise? i sell at wholesale (net 50%) to art consulting companies. just recently have been getting to know all the major architectural firms that have been using my work for years. and yes, i plan on over the next few years to sell direct to them. it's just a matter of time. it is what it is. capitolism is cut throat competition.

are we complaining about free enterprise? i sell at wholesale (net 50%) to art consulting companies. just recently have been getting to know all the major architectural firms that have been using my work for years. and yes, i plan on over the next few years to sell direct to them. it's just a matter of time. it is what it is. capitolism is cut throat competition.
Will you sell it direct to them at retail or wholesale?

Colin

....if the vendors don't sell to the general public as well they may not be able to stay in business.

Why not? How did they stay in business for the last number of decades without selling to the public? GEMINI seems to do quite well not selling to the public.

WildWestDesigns

Will you sell it direct to them at retail or wholesale?

The biggest question here is, are they selling just the inputs of production(blank shirts for example) at wholesale to joe blow or are they selling the input at wholesale plus the extra value added into the product(embroidery for example).

I wouldn't call them direct competitors unless you are also selling the blank product to customers. If you are putting extra value into the shirt, they aren't in direct competition. You might have more people coming in with their own shirt and you might be doing embroidery that way and not making anything on the shirt as well, but you are still bringing in a value to the shirt that they don't do(for whatever reason).

Now, if you are just taking what you buy from your supplier and then selling it as is with a markup, then I could understand.

WildWestDesigns

Why not? How did they stay in business for the last number of decades without selling to the public? GEMINI seems to do quite well not selling to the public.

Unless you know the business that you are talking about intimately, you can't say on whether they should, could, or would be able to survive without selling to the public.

That's the problem. Even if they are in the same industry, doesn't mean that they have the same breakdown in long/short term expenses, overhead etc.