• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermal printer??? Gerber fx maybe...

Joel golden

Hey guys,
I have a customer that wants something I can’t currently do. We are strictly a cut graphics shop but they want 2-5,000 two color decals per month about .75”x1.5”

What they want is chrome, specifically a black vinyl with either chrome or green metallic chrome. I really would like to keep this in-house with the other work we do for them so what options do I have? I see the Gerber edge, and saw the summa thermal (seems more in the price range used) but what about other options... I currently cut on graphtecs but may also be in the market for a new plotter (maybe the summa T series)... help a fella out here

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Joel,

We(Airmark) offer the Summa DC5 printer cutters and also the Summa cutters as well. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have about either piece of equipment. Please send me a PM or email me at philj@airmark.com if you like to setup a time to discuss this project to see if the Summa equipment might be a good fit.

Thanks, Joel!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Billct2

I would recommend a good used Gerber Edge 2 with plotter package. Check to see if your software is compatible
It can print chrome on black or print black on chrome (with thermal printable chrome vinyl) and you can add a green transparent overlay.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
I have a customer that wants something I can’t currently do. We are strictly a cut graphics shop but they want 2-5,000 two color decals per month about .75”x1.5”

What they want is chrome, specifically a black vinyl with either chrome or green metallic chrome. I really would like to keep this in-house with the other work we do for them so what options do I have? I see the Gerber edge, and saw the summa thermal (seems more in the price range used) but what about other options... I currently cut on graphtecs but may also be in the market for a new plotter (maybe the summa T series)... help a fella out here
I have a Gerber Edge 1 with GSXplus cutter and over 52 foils for sale. Brand new print head. It is a complete package. Includes Gerber software and key. $9000 CDN

SlikGRFX

Black and chrome and green chrome can be produced with any regular eco solvent printer by using printable chrome vinyl, then laminate and cut. Gerber Edges are good machines, but it wouldn't be the first printer I would buy. For example a used Roland Versacamm is a far more versatile printer and will allow you to produce a wider (literally) range of products as well as these specific decals.

davedavedave

Black and chrome and green chrome can be produced with any regular eco solvent printer by using printable chrome vinyl, then laminate and cut. Gerber Edges are good machines, but it wouldn't be the first printer I would buy. For example a used Roland Versacamm is a far more versatile printer and will allow you to produce a wider (literally) range of products as well as these specific decals.

i wouldnt go for a eco system, since he usually dont print at all from what i understood... eco printers are only rentable if u use them daily...
if u buy a versacam and dont use it for a few days the print head will almost dry out... there is a daily cleaning programm if u dont use it everyday , but if he only uses the printer once a month there would be to much ink lost from the cleaning for nothing...

thermal printer is the way to go for him...
there are three factors u need to watch out..
-the size of the prints
-how many colors
-the room (space taken in room)
-do u have a plotter cutter?

if u only print small black decals like u said in the top post
- i definitely would go with a used gerber edge 1 or 2... u often can find nice deals for 500-2000 with a cutter and a lot of cartridges ...

if u have alot of space and looking forward to print multi colored and bigger stuff
- go for a summa DC 4SC - basically its the same like a gerber, but has the cutter built in, can print bigger sheets and also is able to handle multiple cartridges/colors at each run wich is very time saving!... (the gerber only handles one cartridge/color each run)

the software is probably the only problem getting used... but i think flexisign or signlab should work on both machines i think...
i know on the gerber u can use gerber omega software, flexisign, or signlab, im not sure about the summa....

im looking for a thermal printer myself...
at the moment there are a few good deals for the summa on ebay.com.... probably the same price range than the actual gerber listings on ebay...
if u have room and no time to wait for a good deal on a gerber- go for a summa....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Summa-DC4S...706522?hash=item5d97adc5da:g:WEsAAOSwxkpd4Av3

Last edited:

Joel golden

well, I ended up going with a used summa DC4sx for $2k with a ton of ribbons and the dongle. I’m still in the early stages of learning the print side of the business but my business stickers came out great for my personal needs and one of the guys in my business network got wind of it and made some connections for me...ok he got me 2 orders with a total of 23,000 units... it’s been a crazy couple weeks! And that thing is YUGE!!! My current set up is home based but we run 3 employees out of that 1000 square feet...but it’s in the basement. 500 pound machine going down in a basement is quite the moving feat for 2 guys!

davedavedave

nice seems like a good deal!!!
didnt knew the summa is so heavy... this is a no go for me since i need the printer in my appartment in the fourth floor lol so i need to look for a gerber :D lol

adprinter

I bumped into this thread while doing search for answer on google for Thermal Printer.
My question is,
Is there another source to have Gerber reconditioned besides Gerber?
I have emailed Gerber inquiring about their process on reconditioning which i have not gotten response.

I await.
Thanks.

netsol

Jimmy the plotter doctor in california
Has parts for and refurbishes pretty much all Gerber products and others
Theplotterdoctor.com

Adam.Foster

I bumped into this thread while doing search for answer on google for Thermal Printer.
My question is,
Is there another source to have Gerber reconditioned besides Gerber?
I have emailed Gerber inquiring about their process on reconditioning which i have not gotten response.

I await.
Thanks.
When you send an Edge to Gerber they will evaluate the Edge and tell you what items need to be replaced. Typically its all wear items and anything they find to be failing QC checks.

adprinter

I lost the bid for the aforementioned printer.
Still,looking for Gerber.

now.is(are) there any desktop thermal printer(s) out there that can do shirts/caps?

Thank you for your directions.