• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermal ribbon or Eco-Sol?

altonagraphics

Hi from Henderson, MN!

After months surfing through Signs 101 I have finally mustered up enough courage to ask some questions.

I have a small home business making small decals/stickers for hog equipment and farm/construction equipment. It mostly consists of vinyl caution/danger decals and some straight misc. cutting as well.

My equipment consists of a Roland PC-600 and Flexi 7.6. I have gained a lot of experience over the last year since I’ve been in the business and am very familiar with my equipment.

Over the last month I have been seriously thinking of updating my pc-600 printer/cutter because of the high print/inch cost and the scarcity of the thermal ribbons. I have been getting the ribbon replacements from fellers, but they have stopped carrying them within the last couple of weeks. I think its time to get a different printer.

My questions are:

• Would you recommend a thermal printer/cutter or an Eco-Solvent printer?
  • What make and model would you recommend for around 6-7K ?
  • What is the lowest cost/inch thermal Printer/cutter?

Keep in mind that I insist on a printer/cutter combo because I need to contour cut a lot without sticking the vinyl into a separate cutter. Plus have the convenience of straight cutting without having to purchase a separate cutter.

Also the decals I make are mostly exposed to sun and harsh power washer environment, which is why I like the durability of thermal technology.

I have been researching the Gerber Edge and Summa dc4 on the thermal side and the Roland combos on the Eco-Sol side.

What do you pros recommend?

Thanks in Advance!

Jim Doggett

Thermal Transfer is my suggestion, hands-down. It's the best solution by far for small / speciality decal printing. (Your Roland ColorCAMM notwithstanding; other products are WAY better)

Summa DC4sx (best in automation, by far)
EDGE / Cutter (best in media and ribbon selection, by far)

I think these are your best and only choices.

My $0.02,

hoppers

I have a Roland SP300V Eco Sol but think your requirements also fall into the thermal arena. There have been a few Gerber Edge 2's for sale on s101 and think a few still might be for sale. A lot of people like the Edge 2's compared to the newer FX (although the FX is gaining marketshare I think)...but the Edge 2's are proven workhorses and think the used ones for sale on here were from $5K to 7K (in your budget).

A newer FX goes for 15K+. Only problem while looking for used Edge 2's is you need to double and triple check the life of the printhead in it...if it is on its way out, they can be VERY expensive to replace (search here and you will see the prices, I think I saw $4K to 5K to replace it including labor)

See here: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41907&highlight=gerber+head+replacement

GregT

I would agree that thermal would be the way to go for the time being. Once more decals are needed then upgreade to the eco-sol as needed.

high impact

Based on your budget and production limitations I'd say a used Gerber Edge would be the way to go for now. You could do a whole lot more with an ink jet but it would blow away your budget because you would be forced to laminate as well.

Sign Works

Here is a source for the replacement ribbons, I've heard that these work really well.

http://print1usa.com/csc/

Also you can keep an eye on e-bay for ribbons, that's where I buy mine, there is a seller that occasionally puts up lots of 50-100 Roland ribbons that can be had for a steal of a deal.

altonagraphics

Thanks for all your helpful input guys.

Would anybody know the price/per foot cost difference between the summa DC4sx and the Roland PC-600? I figured it out but I don't know if my figures are realistic.

Thanks,

Craig Perry

you need a Gerber Edge!.. get an Edge2, as said budget in a few k's for a new head, prob not required but good to have in the back pocket just in case.. steer clear of aftermarket foils (just my 2c lads, please don't shoot me down) Gerber foils work well all the time.. also as said inklet requires lamination.. however bare in mind that the edge can match pantone (well bloody close neway) with simple spectratone.. etc..

PGSigns

I have the Summa and it will work very well for what you want to do. Cost per square foot is going to be about $2.50 with the scratch guard. There have been a couple of DC4SX machines pop up for sale in the price range you are looking at. They had a special running not long ago with a lot of material with a new one that was real good.
Jimmy

altonagraphics

What source is the best buy for Summa DC4sx material? The company website wants $160 per process color. Wondering where I could buy it cheaper. I couldn't find any other site that sells it, nor a dealer in my area. (Henderson, MN)

signage

I do not think Zero-9 is even looking into them at this time!

This is one of the reason I have an Edge and as far as I know the same reason as others! I do not like it when the manufacture is the only supplier. If they decide to discontinue then you are left with a heck of a boat anchor!

PGSigns

Summa has a couple of dealers carrying the materials. Oldham Group is one of them. They are the only game in town on ribbons and I just keep the three process ribons on hand and order the others as needed. They have a warehouse in Boston that has some stuff but not what they should and I think they need to do better at keeping supplies on the east coast.
Jimmy

Altonagraphics,

If you decide that thermal is the way you want to go, I have a line on a used gerber le edge with +/- 250 hours on the print head. It is presently used as a spare printer, print head is clean but note it has never been replaced. The unit is in good working order and was built around 1999. These gerbers are tanks but as noted above if the print heads do fail they are expensive. If interested pm me and we can discuss price and I can check if it is still available. Note that with this option you will need a gerber plotter.