• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermal vs Screen printing

L Town Graphics

Hi guys, did a search and came up with nothing. I had a potential customer ask me in terms of durability and longevity which will last longer from making decals thermal or screen printed? I do not know much about screen printing so I was hoping you guys who have experience with these could chime in with some info.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Screen is generally considered to last longer but the current generation of polyurethane heat transfer material will realistically last just as long in that you will wear the shirt out before either type of print wears out.

weaselboogie

And screening willl age better than heat transfer. Screenprint ink will crack and "weather" nicely, transfer cracks and peels off the shirt. Also has a tendency to curl.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No, textile printing is much different than printing on PSA films.

Screen printed decals using well chosen vinyl inks are typically going to outlast the vinyl you print on. Thermal resins, OTOH, will typically have a three to five year life which can be extended with clear UV/Abrasion overprints or by overlaminating. Much depends on the sun and weather exposure if used outdoors with either method.

Other issues that IMHO should be considered ...

Thermal is generally sharper and higher in resolution.
Thermal costs less with short runs and adapts easily to producing different sizes as well as contour cuts. Screen printing only becomes cost effective with longer runs.

Bill Modzel

I do both. Been screen printing them since 1980 and Edge since 89. I'd give the screen printed image the edge in durability but not that much. If you do a UV overcoat on the thermal prints it will get them pretty close.
My decision on what to use is based on qty and number of colors, not the expected durability as I consider them pretty much equivalent.