• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

They must think we work for free

Mikeifg

Had a customer call that was trading in some vans we lettered and wanted a price on removal because the dealership price was crazy he said. Mind you this customer is one I don't here much from THANK GOD. He's one of the cheaper ones we are starting to let go if you know what I mean. Anyway on each side of his van is a logo that is 20"x65" long and I printed this on really cheap vinyl no laminate. Long story short I told him I would charge him 60 per van to remove. THEN he said sorry the dealership was cheaper. If I hear from him again I'm going to kick the S*** out of him just for principle.

My rant for the day.

Mike

Mikeifg

Probably. But knowing the material it should take their cleanup kid a long time to remove them. That's why I don't deal with car dealers. Their not loyal and want everything dirt cheap.

S

scarface

Yeah i'd say at least 1 hour per van too, I'd probably lower it some if theres a few vans because hey, it's money. Not everyones getting job bids right now (me including) so take it when you can but make money at the same time.

I have a customer who called me last night and then this morning wanting me to do some jobs for him about a hour drive one way. Him to is like your customer, cheap, time waster and i don't care to really have him as a customer.

TheSellOut

$75 dollars an hour, 1-2 hours per van! Being this customer is cheap...who says he didn't have some shady painter spray-bomb a part of his van. Then when the paint comes off with the vinyl, he is going to be looking to you to fix it!

$75 an hour usually scares people away, and when it comes to peeling vinyl, that's exactly what I want!

Dice

You can always tell him the alternate method, lighting his van on fire. It will remove the vinyl and cost him nothing.

CentralSigns

Ya know if he had browns flowing over his toilet he'd pay a plumber $100 an hour and if he had no power he'd pay the electrician $100 an hour to be able to see his sport of choice right then. I don't get why they think they can screw the sign guy, wanting you to work for $2 an hour. I bet he's some type of engineer. Prob shouldn't have said that but I'm venting from the same type customer I had today.

luggnut

Ya know if he had browns flowing over his toilet he'd pay a plumber $100 an hour and if he had no power he'd pay the electrician $100 an hour to be able to see his sport of choice right then. I don't get why they think they can screw the sign guy, wanting you to work for $2 an hour. I bet he's some type of engineer. Prob shouldn't have said that but I'm venting from the same type customer I had today.

it's us as sign people that have set this up! there are those that have learned and run a real business but there are so many that don't. all plumbers charge a reasonble rate to be profitable and electricians too, but not us sign folk.

i have began to realize that most of my gripes and problems in this biz boils down to me. I must sell the customer on what i have to offer and its importance to them, its not as clear cut of a need as the plumber or the electrician fill.

you will always have weenies that mess around on price (so do plumbers) but you stand your ground or turn them away or you make them understand your value.

DIGITAL360

its funny you say that because we come across the same thing. these customers have enough money to go out & buy newer vehicles for their business but dont want to spend much on lettering & graphics to help advertise their business. That also applies to removal of old graphics as well. we set a reasonable price on things we do but some reason these cheap customers thinks this is some type of "ebay auction" where they set their price what they want to pay. these apply to certain nationalities that are down right cheap. im sure some of you know what nationalities im talking about.

Craig Sjoquist

I find it very relieving when somebody is lower cost then myself ... and this nice customer is willing to go to them.

This allows me to earn greater amounts of real cash from another customer that knows I'm a bargain at even higher prices.

Mikeifg

I think they mainly live around me and Mike in Northern Indiana though.

Soo true Craig. This customer was telling me months ago how he spends 1500 a month on internet mumbo jumbo that drives people to his web site. He owns an expediting company. He can spend money on that but kill us sign guys over the price. I forgot who mentioned it in this thread but it is the other sign guys and their cheap prices that are killing us the people who are trying to make a career out of this and people who love the work. That was a good point to.

Mike