• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

They say imitation...

Jeff

is the sincerest form of flattery. In this case I find it disheartening. I designed this scheme in 1998 for the Belvidere Police Dept. It seems to have stood the test of time. I have adapted it to several different models and body styles thru the years. I was recently looking at photos of police cars online and stumbled on to this. I find this to be an atrocious imitation of a design.

. Bel Squad 1 jpeg.jpg COLC Squad 1 jpeg.jpg
Bel Squad 2 jpeg.jpg COLC Squad 2 jpeg.jpg

I'm sure others here have had similar situations with seeing their design copied?

Jeff

Locals Find!

Humm, you should be flattered. Seems like Depatment B saw Department A's design. Liked it and went to their sign shop and said, we like this. Make this for us.

You should be happy your design was copied just goes to show you how good it was to begin with.

Do you think they guy who designed the first Coat of Arms got all bent out of shape when every other country in the world copied his idea?

Jeff

I'm not bent out of shape over the fact that this was copied. I just wish who ever it was that copied it would have either taken the time or had the ability, to do a better job. This "copy" is poorly executed in my opinion. I could pick it apart several different ways.

There are some local "sign company's" that copy stuff and do it poorly on a regular bases. It's just another testament to the direction of this livelihood.

Anyone that has been at this for much time at all has had to copy/duplicate something. All to often I see them done badly. I have always prided myself on doing it as well as possible.

Sign Works

What troubles me is that the designer nor the customer probably see any difference between the two, I most definetly do.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've done a LOT of police fleets, and it is few and far between when they don't give you "creative direction" in the form of a photo of another department's cruisers to work from when they are switching up their looks. With most departments having photos of their fleet on their website, a simple Google search returns thousands of different designs for them to "steal" ideas from.

Your original look is good, but their "revision" not so much.