• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thicker decal material for edge 2

we recently started using a Gerber Edge 2 for custom printed decals. Window / bumper stickers etc. I like the quantum vinyl, but at 3 mil it feels cheaper to customers used to solvent / laminated prints which are 6 mil on average and easier for them to apply. Trying to avoid the extra labor and cost to laminate since the edge materials are already pretty expensive compared to solvent competition. Any suggestions for a 4-6 mil intermediate vinyl with a 5 year life? I considered convex but it is only rated for 2 years.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It's probably been 10 years since we've used Quantum but you could always check out Avery 750 or Oracal 651, both are priced well.

Regarding your question(s), if you're looking for a thicker finished product (remember, thicker isn't always better) you can always get rolls of laminate slit down to 13-14" and laminate your edge prints. Something like Avery DOL 2080 / 2060 would be a good match with your 3mil calendered vinyl.

That being said, and assuming you do have digital/solvent printing capabilities, you'll find that the Edge is better left for certain specific projects. We still love ours but print most of our decals on our Roland printers.

Thanks for the info, I have used the avery 750 as well, it is about the same thickness as the quantum. I have been laminating with 3M 8509 that I had cut down, just trying to avoid the extra work & cost of lamination.
My envision plotter can accurately cut 15' of edge graphics, but I have not been able to successfully laminate pieces this long without the laminate drifting out of alignment. I have been running 5 foot lengths which laminate more successfully, but that means a lot of back & forth changing the foils printing these smaller sheets and registering them on the plotter. Maybe I need a better laminator I am using a basic 25" hand crank.

I do not have a solvent printer at this time, but are considering options from Epson & Mimaki. We are mainly an apparel screen printing company so the used edge was an inexpensive point of entry to doing decals in house. I knew it would not be cost effective for designs with lots of colors, which we will continue to outsource until we have enough demand for a solvent system. I love the vibrancy and sharpness of the edge prints and the back cut feature of this system is awesome, I don't believe any other plotters can do this which is one reason I like the edge.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It certainly has its advantages, I would look at investing in a better laminator as your next step and then think about changing to Gerber vinyls. We have a couple Edge printers here and routinely run full rolls through our laminator.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
You aren't going to get that lifespan out of un-laminated Edge prints.
Incorrect. Edge prints don't need to be laminated. That's the joy of foil over ink. I'm attaching a photo of a sign we just took down in the last week or so because the pharmacy went out of business. The sign was made in 2007 and the marble effect is black Edge print on grey vinyl. 12 years outside in the weather and sun and it's not even peeling up. Given the time it was made, I can say we probably used 220 with a Spot Black print with UV abrasion guard.

I have a client with a van that we wrapped the panel area with a full color seamed Edge print. That job was done without the abrasion guard, and we may have had FrogSkin at the time (I can't be positive, it was a long time ago). Same thing. The stucco background is still perfectly clear. Some fading, obviously, but not completely washed out like I see with ink prints that are laminated.

I would put Edge graphics leaps and bounds about any type of inkjet print out there. I just wish it wasn't limited to an 11.8" height.

Attachments

• 2019-06-03 09.33.35.jpg
    2019-06-03 09.33.35.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 229