Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thin lines - AutoCad?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by BlueSpot, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BlueSpot

BlueSpot Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi.

My plan is to print evacuation signs in spot colors on my gerber.

The problem:

The customer is an architect firm, and the files I got from them is in .pdf
    But I think its made in AutoCad, everything is built up of thin lines and small pieces...its a mess and the lines is to thin to print.

Anyone know what to do?
    It will probably take 2 hours to fix each sign before printing...and its 30 signs :frustrated:

The attached pic(upscaled) is just one of the small symbols on the sign.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

I would say you are correct the original came from AutoCAD.

If it looks good on the screen maybe you could "convert to image" or save as a B/W image and then do a raster to vector, then re assign colors?

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would do NOTHING and make them do it OR charge them enormous amounts to redo it.
    The smaple oyu are showing looks to be mnothing more than a radiused rectangle with type and circle I could recreate that less than 5 minutes, do the other signs look like this? if they do you will have no problems if your skilled

4. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Of course I see they chose some "off the wall" font as opposed to helv or arial....of course they did they are architects and everything has to be difficult

Attached Files:

5. BlueSpot

BlueSpot Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think I will make them fix it yes, they probably have everything in layers.

It`s easy to recreate just that pictogram yes, but it`s 30 different signs with many thin lines an pictograms.

(Tnx for the tip Tony, but its to thin lines :/)

Attached Files:

6. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you have Illustrator and are just printing these:
    Select the objects (select all) and go to Object>Flatten Transparency & adjust it so that everything is the max it can be for vectors. (save this as a preset!) Then, un-group the objects. Now select an object of a particular color, then go to Select>Same>Fill Color. Now, go to your Pathfinder Pallete & "unite" (first option). Repeat until all colors of objects are now one solid object.

Chances are, this customer just has AutoCad & cannot provide you with anything much better than they sent you already. I do this process weekly on firetruck schematics that I have to colorize...